Garlic

• 8 Replies
Garlic
« on: November 06, 2009, 18:57 »
Hi what do you reckon, can i grow garlic bought from a shop,grown in Spain or is it best to grow the stuff ment for our loverly climate.Cheers.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 19:26 »
You may get diseased garlic, you may get poor garlic because of the climate differeance, or you may just get lucky.
It depends if you are prepared to take the risk of importing disease to your plot.
For the sake of a couple of quid...is it worth it?

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 19:51 »
I agree with Lesley, you can get a lot of garlic for £3 from the garden centre, and know that it`s disease free.  :D

SG6

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 20:17 »
Being devils advocat: Why is it disease free if from a garden centre?

As it's not for human consumption it does not have to have the same checks performed on it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 20:24 »
What's in the shop is free of disease that would harm humans....what's in the garden centre is free of disease that affects growth and therefore harvest.

Not the same things at all :nowink:

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 20:52 »
Being devils advocat: Why is it disease free if from a garden centre?

As it's not for human consumption it does not have to have the same checks performed on it.
As far as I am aware, garlic doesn`t carry diseases which can affect humans, in fact, the opposite applies. However, there are diseases such as white rot which affect all members of the onion family. Cloves bought in a gc would be certified as being disease free.

SG6

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:42 »
Would have said that if garlic had anything wrong, including white rot, then it would fall outside of the requirements for human consumption. Cannot see a food safety officer saying "It's just white rot, it's OK to be sold and eaten." :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Cannot recall seeing a nicely rotting garlic in a supermarket and it being sold. Which by previous post it is quite allowable to do. :D :D :D

My thoughts are simply that there will be will be more, and more rigorous, checks on the garlics up on Tesco's shelves then the ones in the garden centre. The supermarket has more to lose - customers, fines, money. Add in that the buyer that purchased the garlic could also lose their job and the grower would lose the contract. Also the second you push a garlic clove in the ground all guarantees are lost immaterial of source.

I know that the supermarkets are often refered to as cutthroat but part of that means they cannot buy an sell substandard food even if just for the bad publicity it generates. How many of the local independant garden centres are now owned by the major ones? Everyone within 15 miles of me are all Wyvale. Aren't these also in the same business as supermarkets? They all look the same no matter which garden centre you visit. I think Wyvale are now renaming they centres back to "local" names, this just hides that they are part of a big group.

People on here have asked about keeping seed to use in following years and no major outcry, usually just advice on how to do it,  but a greater chance of infection being carried over.  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Not saying there is no chance of infection, that exists for all sources no matter who and where they came from.

As white rot is a fungal disease it likes warm, wet conditions. Just what we have, not what the growers in Spain and the Med have. So does that mean we are safer getting and growing supermarket items then those from a producer from the UK?

How many posts of bad germination have been posted on the forum, I can recall several. Now those aren't all chance, many will be substandard (infected?) seed. Read other forums as well, seems not that uncommon. Infected manure has been a problem :( :( If that had been a Tesco item can you imagine the amount of TV coverage it would have got? And the cases against them for loss of crops? Instead it hardly gets a mention and not a piece of action. White rot has been a problem this year, is it normal spread of the disease, or is some from infected onion sets and similar.

Finally my garlic came from the Garlic Farm. :lol: :lol: :lol: And it had better grow well >:(

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 13:38 »
You may get diseased garlic, you may get poor garlic because of the climate differeance, or you may just get lucky.
It depends if you are prepared to take the risk of importing disease to your plot.
For the sake of a couple of quid...is it worth it?
Its not worth it .i'll go for garden centre garlic,cheers

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 14:17 »
As regards supermarket garlic, my main concern is that it is frequently grown in countries of very different climate e.g. mediterranean or further afield.  Thus it is a variety suited to that climate and not to the cold wet of Britain / Yorkshire.  I'd rather make sure I bought a variety certain to be adapted to this weather and thus to grow much more reliably.

It's supermarket spuds which really are not a good idea because they are not certified virus free and thus you could easily import nasties to your plot, site, and area, without realising it.  All seed tubers sold in the UK must by law be certified virus free, that's how seriously this aspect of plant hygiene is taken.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
thumbdown
garlic

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 18:51
by realfood

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 38 queries.