What have I done?!

• 12 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
What have I done?!
« on: August 26, 2013, 17:32 »
Merrily painting away this afternoon, turning the shed from brown untreated wood to 'sea green' when the allotment chairman comes over. "Would I like the half plot next to mine that is waist high in weeds?"

Before I realise it I have said Yes and now have a plot that is almost cleared and under control and a new jungle half  :wacko:

Springlands

Re: What have I done?!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 17:48 »
Obviously the chairman thinks that you are doing a good job and that you will soon get the new plot under control - well done you.  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 17:54 »
Well done you :D

seaside

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 18:21 »
Well, good luck with that RJR. I know how you feel. My plot is now never anymore than 20 hours work away from being spotless in my particular style of growing, and soil improvement is going well, but it takes time. The plot next to me has been vacant since the Winter, renewals are up next month and no one from the waiting list has taken it up in 9 months... with it being rather overgrown, big time ... There's nearly 100 people on the waiting list and I can't help feeling these lists are rather exaggerated or they sadly contain what are called in modern parlance, tyre kickers. One would have thought someone would have jumped at the chance in March.
I e-mailed the Council last week with a view to taking it over. I could really do with the room, I don't need the heartache of a long dig, but the last thing I want is a derelict plot next to me for another year. We shall see.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 18:33 by seaside »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 18:28 »
Really pleased for you!
I'd love more room for another couple of greenhouses and some extra growing space but highly unlikely!

Did you go for that lovely green shed paint then ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 18:55 »
Yes, I went for 'sea green' which actually came out quite blue but I like it. Got a pic on my diary :)

diospyros

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 19:17 »
Well, good luck with that RJR. I know how you feel. My plot is now never anymore than 20 hours work away from being spotless in my particular style of growing, and soil improvement is going well, but it takes time. The plot next to me has been vacant since the Winter, renewals are up next month and no one from the waiting list has taken it up in 9 months... with it being rather overgrown, big time ... There's nearly 100 people on the waiting list and I can't help feeling these lists are rather exaggerated or they sadly contain what are called in modern parlance, tyre kickers. One would have thought someone would have jumped at the chance in March.
I e-mailed the Council last week with a view to taking it over. I could really do with the room, I don't need the heartache of a long dig, but the last thing I want is a derelict plot next to me for another year. We shall see.

Anyone who refuses a plot when one becomes available should be put to the bottom of the waiting list.  But I think with very overgrown plots help should then be available to do an initial strim/rotovate/glyphosate/annihilation of your choice!

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 19:19 »
Well what else were you going to do in your spare time :lol: :lol: Good luck with it :happy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 19:38 »
Well done... I wish i could get another half...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

seaside

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 19:55 »
with very overgrown plots help should then be available to do an initial strim/rotovate/glyphosate/annihilation of your choice!
To be fair to the City Council, they can't really do much more. The annual rent for a plot is £20. When someone takes a plot, they are asked if they want it strimmed and totally cleared of debris and derelict constructions. The long time Council worker who works the allotment sites is very conscientious and helpful. Next door was strimmed to a couple of inches in March and a huge bonfire was had, but a year's growth soon takes over. And the allotment association has a communal rotovator wherepeople just add the fuel, so it's not as if people aren't given a reasonable helping hand to start with.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 19:59 »
with very overgrown plots help should then be available to do an initial strim/rotovate/glyphosate/annihilation of your choice!
To be fair to the City Council, they can't really do much more. The annual rent for a plot is £20. When someone takes a plot, they are asked if they want it strimmed and totally cleared of debris and derelict constructions. The long time Council worker who works the allotment sites is very conscientious and helpful. Next door was strimmed to a couple of inches in March and a huge bonfire was had, but a year's growth soon takes over. And the allotment association has a communal rotovator wherepeople just add the fuel, so it's not as if people aren't given a reasonable helping hand to start with.

Wow! Better than us - we get absolutely nothing - no help whatsoever. We only pay £12 for a full plot tho so I wouldn't even think about complaining

diospyros

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 20:18 »
And by my own rules I would even now be struggling with the overgrown plot I could have had straight away instead of waiting til December for a recently vacated one! :blush:

chillimummy

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 14:39 »
I got offered a half plot last year and although it was very overgrown, I took it on. After much hard work, it is mostly clear and I definitely have a feeling of achievment as I harvest my produce.
If I had turned it down though, 6 months later two full plots were vacated and taken on quickly. They werent too bad and had sheds too! Did feel bit disappointed at the time but just focusing on making most of mine now.
Not sure what should happen really if people turn plots down. Surely if you are really keen then you take whatever you are offered?  :(
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 37 queries.