Whats your biggest harvest so far this year.

• 40 Replies

Beetroot queen

Whats your biggest harvest so far this year.
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:51 »

Daily harvest 2013
April
10 rhubarb stalks

May
66 rhubarb stalks
11 lettuce
16 asparagus spears
2 beetroot

June
29 turnips
1 large bunch of fresh mint
62 rhubarb sticks
11lb beetroot
8 lettuce
3 bowl of mixed salad leaves.
18lb strawberries
200 alpine strawberries
170 pea pods
1 raspberry

July
12lb strawberries
3lb early potatoes
3 small onions ( i needed them)
100 pea pods
8 rhubarb stalks
8 turnips

Looking at my list i think ours has been rhubarb, closely followed by strawberries.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Whats your biggest harvest so far this year.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:54 »
I never weigh or count mine.  I just eat it  :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:58 »
I never weigh or count mine.  I just eat it  :lol:

But its too easy to forget. I am obsessed with counting it and so is florence lol, she counted the turnips. It went like this 1,2,3,4,....... 8,9,10  she knows the numbers inbetween but she prefers to skip them, makes harvests look bigger.  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:05 »
I don't think you can compare weight for weight or count for count, vegetables or fruit that are totally different to each other.

I only weigh /count mine occasionally, my last lot of strawberries, for example, was nearly double of the 4 kilos I weighed from the previous harvest, but I was just content in my own mind that it was a good haul. I  didn't even post about it. It can become obsessive.

And before anyone mentions the Kent Blue saga of last year, that was posted more in humour than anything!

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07 »

so far my little gem lettuce has been fantastic this year  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:10 »
I don't think you can compare weight for weight or count for count, vegetables or fruit that are totally different to each other.

I only weigh /count mine occasionally, my last lot of strawberries, for example, was nearly double of the 4 kilos I weighed from the previous harvest, but I was just content in my own mind that it was a good haul. I  didn't even post about it. It can become obsessive.

And before anyone mentions the Kent Blue saga of last year, that was posted more in humour than anything!

Oh dont be a spoil sport, i am a record keeper and list maker, you know what they say DD if you cant beat the queen. Join her  ;) :tongue2: you soon forget how well your harvests have done and its ace working it out at the end of the year compared to supermarket costs.

Although i dont think i would have gone to tesco and come home with quite so many strawberries. Its just a bit if fun because we all have different sized plots, less or more growing space.

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14 »
Courgettes  :D started making courgette provencal for the freezer already,three tubs in, at this rate i will need a freezer just for them lol
Edit to add picture in my blog under July
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:17 by Rosehip »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15 »
Courgettes  :D started making courgette provencal for the freezer already,three tubs in, at this rate i will need a freeze just for them lol

Mine have loads of tiny fruits on them but they have been there for about 5 days and they seem stuck at that stage

ryetek

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:24 »
That's a very through list BQ  :) I notice that for June you have 1 raspberry? Is that correct - why one?

For us I think it's Rhubarb, over-wintered (Spring Hero) cabbages, over-wintered (Aquiles) calabrese, salad leaves and spinach so far. Our strawberry plants are absolutely loaded too but we've only just started harvesting these.

We have a lot of stuff that should be ready within 2 or 3 weeks including early potatoes, peas, spring onions and broad beans which are all looking good so far. At the moment I can't count that though can I.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25 »
Having been growing my own stuff for over 40 years now, I'm well aware of how my own produce is doing and how much better it is than the shops.

I don't need to start making lists or keeping tallies now!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:28 »
That's a very through list BQ  :) I notice that for June you have 1 raspberry? Is that correct - why one?

For us I think it's Rhubarb, over-wintered (Spring Hero) cabbages, over-wintered (Aquiles) calabrese, salad leaves and spinach so far. Our strawberry plants are absolutely loaded too but we've only just started harvesting these.

We have a lot of stuff that should be ready within 2 or 3 weeks including early potatoes, peas, spring onions and broad beans which are all looking good so far. At the moment I can't count that though can I.

Thats all that was ready, tonnes of green ones but not the right colour yet

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 10:30 »
Having been growing my own stuff for over 40 years now, I'm well aware of how my own produce is doing and how much better it is than the shops.

I don't need to start making lists or keeping tallies now!

Your never to old to start DD  :) maybe we do it because we have young children but i am happy to agree to disagree. So DD what was the kent blue saga from last year  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 10:32 »
Exactly DD.

... you soon forget how well your harvests have done and its ace working it out at the end of the year compared to supermarket costs.

Oh, life it too short and there's too many other things to do to bother with that, BQ  ::) :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:36 »
Exactly DD.

... you soon forget how well your harvests have done and its ace working it out at the end of the year compared to supermarket costs.

Oh, life it too short and there's too many other things to do to bother with that, BQ  ::) :lol:

Oh fiddle sticks to that. It takes seconds and it makes me happy.  ??? And it provides you lot with some amusement when you realise people like me do spend their lives weighing and counting things. I have a long way to retirement and its still all exciting i am sure the vegmoon will wear off shortly.  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 10:42 »
You do give some of us a laugh, me dear  :lol:

xx
What has been your biggest success this year

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

51 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 20:35
by Gardenmunkey
question
First harvest of the year

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 23:56
by nicchick
xx
First proper harvest of the year last night

Started by stickmeup on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 08:40
by stickmeup
xx
Fruit trees to harvest this year?

Started by plum crumble on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 18:55
by Spana

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 36 queries.