First harvest of the year

• 9 Replies

lightyears

First harvest of the year
« on: June 29, 2009, 13:48 »
Photo to follow, but we harvest one line of peas today, and filled and whole supermarket carrier bag to the brim. im sure its not a lot to some of you but for a 1st yearer like me its brillent.

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: First harvest of the year
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 16:31 »
sounds like a great haul!  I can't even get mine to a carrier bag, never mind the kitchen - I'm eating my pea pods as mangetout straight off the plants can't wait for the peas....had a few actual peas tho and they were so tender and sweet - hope yours are as good :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 16:37 »
Photo to follow, but we harvest one line of peas today, and filled and whole supermarket carrier bag to the brim. im sure its not a lot to some of you but for a 1st yearer like me its brillent.

Sounds good to me, youve done really well  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

lottienewbie

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 18:16 »
Well done we are harvesting our first crops too,but the kids are eating the peas too before they get any where near cooking them lol
making the most of what good weather we get.

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 20:31 »
I've not picked my peas yet, but I've just come back from (very) sunny France and am just harvesting my strawberries.  Everytime I walk past my strawberry bed (which is pretty regular), I snip off a strawberry - yummmm!!!!.  Whilst I was away, my next door neighbour allotmenteer's daughter (apparently she's a runner and is 9th in the country and she's only 9 - a potential Olympic star in the making) was looking at my strawberries, so her father and Norman, who was looking after my allotment, told her to go and eat some as we wouldn't have minded.  Apparently, she tucked in with gusto!!!  I hope the strawberries make her run even faster - very healthy.  My spuds are doing great, another couple of weeks, and they'll be picked.  I planted some more French Climbing Runner beans just before I left for France as the first lot kind of disappeared on me.   Anyway, there was nothing poking through the root-trainers, so I left them until I got back - I couldn't believe how big they'd grown in just 2 weeks.  I immediately put them in.

I got back on Friday evening, and was down at the allotment all day on Saturday and Sunday, weeding.  I can now see my dwarf french beans and corgettes (yellow ones) :nowink: 8) :D

Babs

lightyears

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 22:53 »
Finally got my pictures off my phone. Hear is a selection of the rest, 1 beetroot, 4 califlowers, a bag of peas, a bag of carrots.

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 22:56 »
Cool!! Im very envious. Were having our first go this year in beds in the garden, snaffled the odd strawberry, but cant wait to start pulling carrots!

Sal1610

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 23:03 »
Brilliant! My peas are way off cropping yet. My veg garden is supplying em with salad leaves and rhubarb at the moment, but I think the first courgette is imminent

lightyears

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 23:11 »
ive got 3 courgettes which were going to join the pictures today but ive decided to leave them a few days more.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 23:56 »
My proudest moment was watching my ma and pa fresh off the plane tucking into some peas out of the pod on my lotty. I only saw them for a couple of hours before they went off to Spain for a holiday and an hour of that was on the plot looking at the chickens and ducks! My dad said he wanted to live here again so he could eat my veg - ahhhh! Nic.

xx
First proper harvest of the year last night

Started by stickmeup on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 08:40
by stickmeup
xx
Fruit trees to harvest this year?

Started by plum crumble on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 18:55
by Spana
xx
Whats your biggest harvest so far this year.

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 22:20
by Beetroot queen
xx
Mistakes you make year after year after year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post May 07, 2022, 22:37
by Rob the rake

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 36 queries.