parsnips is it to late?

• 15 Replies

andy dewar

parsnips is it to late?
« on: May 23, 2013, 22:41 »
Hi folks after a fantastic year last year :) were all my parsnips came up this year iv only got 18 out of 75 sown :wacko: ,  is it to late to sow more to make up shortfall any advise would be appreciated thanks Andy

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: parsnips is it to late?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 23:22 »
Give it a go.  What's the worst that can happen? If nothing comes up well...at least you tried.
None of mine came up, I'm having a parsnip interregnum this year.
Anne

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 23:34 »
I planted mine later than this last year after a disastrous first attempt, and we still had a good crop.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 23:38 »
I'm going to put a few more in, nothing ventured nothing gained!  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 01:33 »
I'm going to put a few more in, nothing ventured nothing gained!  :)

As I've not ventured this year, due to being short of time, mine are going in at the next available opportunity.

Who knows what will or wont work this year of delayed starts.  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 01:55 »
I think mine would have done ok, but the compost I bought this year is throwing up tomato seedlings everywhere (Tomorite Tomato growbag).  Unfortunately, this is the first time I've grown parsnips so I went through pulling all the 'tomato seedlings' out, not realising that they look very similar to parsnip seedlings until the first true leaf.  :(

Hopefully a few will have survived but I've got half a packet of seed left that won't keep so I'll just bung em in anyway...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31 »
Nothing ventured ....
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:25 »
Not a lot to lose, the weather has been so cold I doubt that planting them 6 weeks ago would have made any real difference. Also they tend to be in the ground until late in the year so will have time to develop into something reasonable.

Planting time and harvest time are likely to not follow normal precedence this year. I planted a good few of my seeds somewhat early indoors (Janurary/Feburary) but it seems to have been beneficial to have done so.  Glad I ignored the "rules" as I have a selection of good plants now - tomatoes, leeks, peppers, onions, parsnips.

Add in that parsnip seeds tend to not last until the next year and you may as well plant whatever you have and take the chance of what is produced.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:04 »

Add in that parsnip seeds tend to not last until the next year and you may as well plant whatever you have and take the chance of what is produced.

Not entirely true! Last year I experimented with three rows of snips, one fresh, one last years seed and one possibly two year old seed.

The difference between the fresh and the one year old seed was next to nothing regarding germination, the older seed did suffer and only around 45% germinated. the seed was the same variety, Gladiator and from the same seed company.
As you also may be aware I always pre-chit my seed, again this year all seed that was sown pre-chitted has all come up and looking good.

To answer the post, no put them in, that way you may have a nice succession of snips later in the year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07 »
I'd be tempted to sow/thin them to slightly wider spacings than the normal 15cm(plant)x30cm(row) and make sure they are well weeded - this should let them catch up with the earlier sown ones and, if not, you'll have lovely fashionable baby parsnips ;)
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

Herb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 10:22 »

Not entirely true! Last year I experimented with three rows of snips, one fresh, one last years seed and one possibly two year old seed.

I did the same experiment - not a single seed germinated from the 2 older year's packets - so I've bunged the rest of the fresh pack in.

andy dewar

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 20:44 »
Thanks everyone il put some in tomorrow , as an aside this is seed i had left from last year so makes you wonder perhaps it is always best to buy fresh each year thanks again Andy

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 20:48 »
We always advise to buy fresh parsnip seed every year. This is one of the few veg that you really need to.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 20:52 »
We have people growing parsnips in the poly, is that a good idea, I always thought it would be too hot. I have space for a small row if so.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 22:16 »
We have people growing parsnips in the poly, is that a good idea, I always thought it would be too hot. I have space for a small row if so.

I've never grown parsnips in mine, but I certainly grow carrots in there and they seem quite happy. Last year I also tried a few other things that are traditionally supposed to like cool conditions, like cabbage, chard, spinach, beetroot, swede, and all of them did well.

xx
Is it too late to sow parsnips?

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 15, 2016, 22:09
by Stringbags
xx
Parsnips-too late??

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2022, 14:06
by mumofstig
xx
Too late for parsnips?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 10:11
by Ian_P
xx
is it too late to sow parsnips?

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 00:15
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 29 queries.