Quick advice needed!

• 7 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Quick advice needed!
« on: May 24, 2013, 14:53 »
So, I wrote to the supplier of veggie plants (who shall remain nameless) last week as my April delivery still hadn't materialised - fair enough, given the weather - to say we're off on our hols for half term, so please not to send them during half term. We're off tomorrow, and he sent me a dispatch notice, saying they'll arrive today !!!  :mad:

Anyway, too late to do anything about it, but can anyone advise what I do with the plants this evening - it needs to be quick (family of 4 still to pack for....) but keeps the plants alive for a week...

Help - desperate and disorganised!!

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Re: Quick advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 14:57 »
Really depends on what they are. Quite a few things can just be chucked in a coldframe this time of year, but there's a lot still needs protecting from the elements.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 15:01 »
Considering the strange weather we're all experiencing right now, I'd recommend you keep all the plants indoors for a start with your heating set to come on if temps dip below 63 indoors.

Water everything well, drain, and keep in a poly sheet lined box so they'll stay reasonably moist. You could always stuff crushed dampened newspaper between the pots but not over the plants (could cause mold). I wouldn't put any sort of sheeting over the tops as they'll need to 'breathe'.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 15:26 »
Mostly it's brassicas, so hopefully they ought to be ok outside.
The trouble is, they tend to arrive not in pots, but as plug plants, and so are at risk of drying out, I think.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 15:32 »
Mostly it's brassicas, so hopefully they ought to be ok outside.
The trouble is, they tend to arrive not in pots, but as plug plants, and so are at risk of drying out, I think.

I would say they would need to be potted or they may well not survive, it depends how many and cost to take the risk.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 15:35 »
Not much drying out around here this week, especially outside :D

Do you have time to pot them up, or at least do as Trillian says and pop them in a box and give them a good soaking? I sow mine in modules and they can stay in one of those little squares for a fair while before they give up.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 16:07 »
I'll see what I can do - I'll try and fill a few pot with compost and jam them in, just to keep the roots moist.
Thanks!

m1ckz

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 06:46 »
my first thought would be....give them to a friend to look after while your away,,,,simples ,,,, :D

xx
Encouragement needed...quick

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 03, 2006, 20:19
by John
clip
Advice needed please..

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2020, 11:18
by New shoot
xx
Advice needed

Started by Laura020101 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 21:24
by DD.
question
Help or Advice Needed, Please.

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 09:00
by RookieJim

Page created in 0.882 seconds with 36 queries.