What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2565 on: November 16, 2013, 07:12 »
Had the day off so had a very productive day. Tidied my strawberry bed and planted out 10 new 'Cambridge favourite' plants. Had my 5 fruit bushes arrive so planted them out using the root growing fungus. Allotment manure delivery was also there so narrowed down my share, mulched the new fruit plants, covered a couple of beds and put  a stash to one side ready for the squash plants.

grendel

« Reply #2566 on: November 16, 2013, 12:28 »
finally, a few dry days in a row - early start today - 8 am, I was stripping the carburettor on the rotovator, cleaning it and putting back together - result started first pull, then off to the first half plot via the petrol station, petrol in the rotovator and my first half plot now done with a single pass, turning the pea and bean stalks back in. 3 hours well spent.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Yana

« Reply #2567 on: November 16, 2013, 16:27 »
Have had third half plot ( number 59 on the allotment map) since January 2013 and has been productive but wanted to change it around a bit. So drew up plans and after putting shed up a few weeks ago, put in three raised beds today. Moved a load of soil to fill them and tidied up all round.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Ema

« Reply #2568 on: November 17, 2013, 18:24 »
Dug over a bed and planted 40 cloves of garlic.

pruned the red currant straggly plants

dug up half the Jerusalem artichokes filled a flexible bucket with them because the rats have started digging them up and nibbling leeks :( will put the chokes in the garage wih some soil on them and hope they don't notice they've been dug up!

Aled

« Reply #2569 on: November 18, 2013, 10:11 »
As advised on here last week, gave the leeks a little bit of liquid fertilizer to give em a bit of a boost. Seems to have worked already! Washed all pots and growing containers, and tied the canes into a nice bundle they are stored neatly in the garage.
Cheers
Aled
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 14:14 by Aled »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2570 on: November 18, 2013, 13:44 »
Was getting a bit tired of viewing the bright yellow cut-down asparagus ferns, and the pulled-up sweet corn lying in a heap on my veg plot.
Spotting an opportunity in between the forecast rain this morning and the much colder weather to come I went out, excavated the bean trench under the Munty frame, and filled it with the roughly-chopped material.

Been thinking for some time (years  ::)) that two rows of asparagus is a bit of a space indulgence in my garden, even though there are only 5 plants in each, particularly as one of the rows includes a couple of plants, variety long forgotten, which have always produced rather weedy spears, so contemplated an experimental dig to confirm that the roots do indeed reach Australia!

Rain then arrived, so the asparagus, and my back, live to fight another day.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2571 on: November 18, 2013, 14:32 »
Clearing and spreading manure over the beds. :)

blackberryjam

« Reply #2572 on: November 19, 2013, 16:19 »
Managed to plant some of my garlic today, that i started of in the greenhouse the others will be OK for another few days hopefully ill get them in the ground on Thursday weather permitting . Dug up some parsnips and pulled up the last of the carrots. Theirs still plenty to do, but my hands started to get cold so went home for a hot chocolate. :) 

wneva

« Reply #2573 on: November 19, 2013, 17:19 »
More digging the weeds out of the covered beds.  I've now nearly finished digging out bed 11.  Several more to go.  Only half a sack of couch roots this time.  Then I took a few leaves of kale to go with this evening's stew, and after conferring briefly, Sean the lurcher and I agreed it was time to head home.  The aquadulces and the leeks are looking good.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2574 on: November 19, 2013, 19:04 »
Dug up the last of the spuds today from my red, white and blue planting.

Took the tops off weeks ago to avoid blight contamination of the tubers
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2575 on: November 19, 2013, 20:46 »
 :blink: got cold wet and muddy :mad: moved scaffold boards into polytunnel to keep dry took some metal shelving home to make a bike trailer :D
diggity dig dig

pompeyboy61

« Reply #2576 on: November 21, 2013, 17:02 »
Decided the shed needed a good clear out, as very cluttered and disorganised . Now looks very tidy and can now find everything I need. Also wire brushed all the tools , will oil at the weekend . All in all very therapeutic .

Yana

« Reply #2577 on: November 22, 2013, 07:30 »
Have missed the manure delivery for a few weeks now and believe me, you need to be there when it arrives as it disappears so fast. So delighted yesterday that I timed it perfectly so managed to manure one large raised bed on plot 1 and one of the newer ones on plot 3. Was almost dark when I left but felt very pleased with myself.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2578 on: November 22, 2013, 12:11 »
Emptied the contents of my dalek onto my top bed where brassicas will be next year. Harvested some parsnips, leeks and cabbage. Lovely hour in the sun.  :happy:

jmc1949

« Reply #2579 on: November 22, 2013, 12:45 »
Continued weeding, digging and then manuring beds.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 32 queries.