What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

miggs

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2550 on: November 11, 2013, 07:52 »
Like a lot of people on here, visited the plot for the first time in a couple of weeks due to the weather. Did a big tidy up and then went about picking all the veg. Dug up the last of the spuds, an ASDA carrier bag full to the brim. Dug up 7 Cabbage and a couple of Cauliflower. Also pulled up approx 25 Leeks, with about double that still in the ground. I will get the rest of them over the next month or so. Cut down all the Dahlias, composted them along with a lot of the outer leaves from the Cabbage and Cauliflower. I am now aching all over from all the digging I did, as the ground was so heavy from all the rain we have had. Oh, I nearly forgot, I planted 150 Onions and a pack of 10 shallots. Will get more Shallots in when I can.

Aled

« Reply #2551 on: November 11, 2013, 09:39 »
Ok got outside at last! Ground was still too wet to dig properly so thats on the "to do " list. I did Sort out the compost bin, the lovely crumbly brown stuff is now on the veg patch, so thats a big monkey off my back hope the worms get busy.
Need to build a raised bed type structure around the patch for neatness purposes. My lovely OH cooked our beetroot, it tastes lovely, having some more for lunch today!
Still have leekes, and a few late carrots & onions left.
Glad to hear one or two others were able to enjoy some fresh air as well.
Cheers
Aled 

blackberryjam

« Reply #2552 on: November 11, 2013, 19:53 »
Nothing today rained all day, hopefully it will stop by tomorrow afternoon I need to get the garlic in the greenhouse in the  ground before its to late.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2553 on: November 11, 2013, 20:34 »

Have got 8 blue interlinked barrels filled of water, no where else to store any more!

Funny thing is, have been doing some digging, the the soil is nicely moist to less than a spades depth, under that the soil is very dry!

Looks like it will take a lot more rain to soak down below!

>
STOP, and smell the roses!

chillimummy

« Reply #2554 on: November 12, 2013, 12:59 »
Planted garlic, solent wight and elephant garlic.
Checked sprouts, looking almost ready to start picking for small ones.
Given wooden seat with storage underneath which is handy but looks like a throne!
Spread last of manure.
Ground too wet to dig where pumpkins been 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

jmc1949

« Reply #2555 on: November 12, 2013, 13:10 »
Spread manure on 3 beds.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2556 on: November 12, 2013, 17:36 »
hello diggers, got plastic on home made greenhouse @ allotment #2 and built a big type of fence made from lorry freezer doors, allotment #1 spread chicken ,goose, turkey, and duck muck on garden. allotment#3 watered garlic in greenhouse and tied raspberries in, got quite a bit done today me back's telling me now :ohmy: :lol: tomorrow ive got a big pile of 3 yr old manure nicely rotted to move and a spot of digging :blink: then ill have to slow down for winter  :lol: I shall return mwahaha :blink: darren
diggity dig dig

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2557 on: November 12, 2013, 21:12 »
digging ,digging and err more digging oh and spread horse poop on two of the raised beds only 27 more to go

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2558 on: November 12, 2013, 23:16 »
Turned in the pea shoots, leaving the soil for the frosts to get at.
Weeded.
"Rolled" a really, really heavy pallet up the hill to my plot and installed it as the end of my triple compost bin.  Phew!
Home to rest after that ::)
Anne

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #2559 on: November 13, 2013, 13:27 »
Dug out the channels(to provide drainage and stop the couch grass creeping in) around next years potato beds and mucked out half the goat house.
Mulched potato beds with goat house muckings.

Still picking tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, lettuce, mizuna, rocket, radish, mustard greens, kale and corriander from the polytunnel which I watered.  :)

Picking raspberries this afternoon.  :happy:

Lovely day here.

These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2560 on: November 13, 2013, 14:06 »
2 hours in the sunshine pottering.  :D Sheds nice and tidy, lower leaves removes from sprouts etc. Plotfather made a slatted shelf under the workbench he has made in the greenhouse. Lovely cuppa and a chat (with the Plotfather  :ohmy:) No digging though...it's far too soggy. :(

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2561 on: November 13, 2013, 17:43 »
Had planned a good few hours 'me time' today after a frazzled week;  kids sorted check, housework rushed early-check, dinner in slow cooker-check.  Hadn't counted on hubby changing his diary plans  :unsure: blast.....

Finally got down about 1pm with a flask and had a lovely potter about, and sat in the sun with a brew.

Harvested turnips, sprouts, radish, chard and rasp. Calabrese and swedes ready but seeing if they'll get a bit bigger yet.  Weeded brassica tunnel and turned over a couple of beds as our soil is light even through it was a little wet.
Getting excited about the parsnips  8)  -easily pleased, me.

wneva

« Reply #2562 on: November 13, 2013, 18:44 »
Brief visit after dog walk - failing light.  The newly planted aquadolce beans are OK, but look like they need sticks to keep em up - don't want the eventual beans trailing on the ground.  I planted some more leeks the other day - the ones left over from the planting in the summer.  Hope they'll take OK - they've been lurking in the garden centre's plastic tray in the back garden at home for a few months.  Anyway, they're in the ground now, in holes, and seem to be perky.

Cabbages and purple sprouting, under netting, and recently bug-sprayed, appear to be doing well.

Next job is to dig over another of the 6 or 7 weed-fabric-covered beds, to get the couch roots out and re-cover till the spring.  And to clear the weedy ground under the two very young apple trees - each has about 3 or 4 small apples. 

Flowertot

« Reply #2563 on: November 15, 2013, 17:59 »
Really pleased as it was finally sunny when I wanted (and was able) to go down to the plot  :). Managed to dig over and weed 2 beds  :) :) and pick some chard and broccoli for dinner.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2564 on: November 15, 2013, 18:11 »
lovely day for it pretty warm, laid some slabs round greenhouse on allotment#3, dug over a long stretch on allotment#2 and planted some shenshu yellow sets and thermidour garlic in greenhouse and planted the same outside, dug greenhouse over on allotment #1 and planted same garlic and onions inside, phew :blink:  :lol:

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 37 queries.