What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2475 on: October 24, 2013, 20:25 »
Went to tackle the mayhem after 3 weeks away with work! Mowed sooooooo much grass, weeded 2 beds, dug up 2/3 of a big trug of Maris piper potatoes (badly scabbed!!) picked a dozen Chanterey carrots, picked loads of beetroot for pickling and took off the last 5 courgettes and composted the plants. Also pulled up the chilli plants and picked off 2 bags of mild green chillies from them (Hope they ripen up in the greenhouse!!) Shattered now but the big bags of veg on the kitchen side make it all worth it  :)

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2476 on: October 24, 2013, 21:37 »
Took the last of the runner beans down. Will try to keep 6 plants as an experiment, in dry compost and re-pot next year as found out that they are perennial. See what advantages that might bring.
Collected 13 bags of horse manure. :blink:
Got given a celeriac which i will cook and use as a mash. If it passes the tasty test, will probably grow some next year.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2477 on: October 25, 2013, 00:56 »
Munched the last few raspberries and strawberries and thought "yup, going to have to clear those blighted toms" and "OMG, what am I going to do with all these Oca? (I'm not even sure I like Oca))"...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Aled

« Reply #2478 on: October 25, 2013, 11:31 »
Picked me first ever carrots! Not loads of em, but i've got enough for a few lunches/suppers!
Cheers
Aled

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2479 on: October 25, 2013, 12:08 »
For the first time in weeks I felt like doing something  :)
Nothing to much though, just gentle pottering and it was great to be able to do that 8)
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Eblana

« Reply #2480 on: October 25, 2013, 14:44 »
Started to pot up strawberry runners in the pt yesterday now that they have rooted and can be removed from the mother plant. I got over 50 babies from 12 plants.  At this rate I will have about 300 babies to deal with as I started off with 70 parent plants ::)

Today it is chucking down rain so I spent a very pleasant morning cleaning out the greenhouse.  It looks great and I am so happy.

blackberryjam

« Reply #2481 on: October 25, 2013, 17:27 »
Pulled  up some carrots, cut off a cabbage, picked the last of the sweetcorn, then dug them up, weeded the rest of the herb bed, tided the greenhouse and planted the comfrey.

snowdrops

« Reply #2482 on: October 25, 2013, 19:31 »
Had a walk to the plot to batten down the hatches, but as I couldn't find them I put a couple of bags of plant pots that are waiting to come home,in the shed & some other stuff as well. then I picked what will most likely be the last of the runner beans,1 tiny yellow courgette,then pulled the 2 courgette plants up & a pumpkin plant & threw them in the compost bin & came home.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2483 on: October 25, 2013, 20:34 »
Another 12 bags of horse manure collected!
Hope the car takes it :blink:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2484 on: October 25, 2013, 22:28 »
Started preparing a woodchip path to my shed, so there is less chance of me making a mud angel in the slippy-slidey season. Composted squash plants and the purslane. Faffed quite a bit.  :)

Forgot to take down the caves - need to do that tomorrow so I won't have to rescue them from the cemetery after the storm.

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #2485 on: October 26, 2013, 09:20 »
Pruned back the vine in the PT to let more light in. Pruned out most of the leaves on the tomato plants, picked a bowl of Chrystal plum toms.
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

wneva

« Reply #2486 on: October 26, 2013, 13:57 »
Dug over the first bed, by the path where the parish weed police do their patrolling, and covered it over with weed control fabric.  Filled a 15kg dog food bag with couch roots, and more to come.  5 more beds to dig out and recover now.

It looks like my cabbages (Hispi and Durham early) are thriving - the inside leaves of several are curving in to form the pointy shape.    I've fixed netting over them, using hoops of blue plastic water piping, to keep the pigeons off, but somehow they seem still to be getting a bit eaten.  I suppose this is some hostile insect or grub?

Otherwise, kale, leeks and tail end of spinach all doing well, as is the purple sprouting under its rather rickety cage of bamboos connected with plastic corner gizmos, the whole thing really kept up by netting stretched over it and pegged down like guy ropes.  Hope it survives the famous storm.  I wonder if my remains of runner beans on their poles will still be standing by Monday.  Perhaps I should take em down tomorrow.

MrsPea

« Reply #2487 on: October 26, 2013, 16:53 »
We picked the remainder of the bramble apples before the tree gets cut down  >:( then I stood and peeled them all ready for the freezer to which I got 4 pots filled ready to go with the black berries we picked early in the year  :)
I Love my green house

snowdrops

« Reply #2488 on: October 26, 2013, 16:55 »
Dug over the first bed, by the path where the parish weed police do their patrolling, and covered it over with weed control fabric.  Filled a 15kg dog food bag with couch roots, and more to come.  5 more beds to dig out and recover now.

It looks like my cabbages (Hispi and Durham early) are thriving - the inside leaves of several are curving in to form the pointy shape.    I've fixed netting over them, using hoops of blue plastic water piping, to keep the pigeons off, but somehow they seem still to be getting a bit eaten.  I suppose this is some hostile insect or grub?

Otherwise, kale, leeks and tail end of spinach all doing well, as is the purple sprouting under its rather rickety cage of bamboos connected with plastic corner gizmos, the whole thing really kept up by netting stretched over it and pegged down like guy ropes.  Hope it survives the famous storm.  I wonder if my remains of runner beans on their poles will still be standing by Monday.  Perhaps I should take em down tomorrow.

It sounds like you may have the beasties under the netting with them already.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #2489 on: October 26, 2013, 17:57 »
Weeded and cleared all rubbish from the plot, hubby bashed the council hedge back ( dont ask) lol wasnt me boss.
Tip run tomorrow before the great storm.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 29 queries.