What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2490 on: October 26, 2013, 19:49 »
Cleared.  Dug.  Cleared debris.  Moved manure.  Spread manure.  Planted broad beans  :D  Battened down.  Re-netted the chard. 

Had a friend watch me whilst munching on sunflower seeds  :happy:  Rosey ringed parakeets are quite usual near Mitcham common (there is a 2000 bird roost there) and they are quite loud!  Some locals don't like them because the are pushing indigenous small birds out of nesting sites, but they are quite exotic on a gloomy day.
parakeet.jpg

Flowertot

« Reply #2491 on: October 26, 2013, 22:28 »
Popped in briefly with my boys just to check all ok after being away.  Picked a few bits and pieces - everything really has slowed down now and/or finished - and got caught in a very sharp shower!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2492 on: October 26, 2013, 22:31 »
Rosey ringed parakeets are quite usual near Mitcham common (there is a 2000 bird roost there) and they are quite loud! 

we have them here too - great swathes of them flying over the river to roost in Bushy Park each night, and then come and squawk outside the window in the morning! :)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #2493 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45 »
I took my children and two of their friends down yesterday, between us we dug a bed and sawed scaffold planks to make 2 new raised beds, got 2 big bags of leaves and 2 wheelbarrows full of horse muck. Very good fun and the kids enjoyed using a saw, both of our invited guests asked is they could come back with me today so they are getting the bug. Picked a solitary leek but it's not very big. I'm going to take the broad beans and onion sets that I've started off in the greenhouse today.
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Godhelm

« Reply #2494 on: October 27, 2013, 07:57 »
Yesterday I cleared out 2 beds (just some beetroot, nasturtiums and land cress) and planted garlic, shallots, onions I grew from seed in modules (North Holland Bloodred Redmate and Ailsa Craig) in one, and sowed broad beans (Aquadulce Claudia) and peas (Douce Provence) in the other.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2495 on: October 27, 2013, 14:14 »
Went down for the first time in 2 weeks (bad weather and then a holiday) and was pleasantly surprised. I finished digging another area to make an edged bed and dug a wheel barrow of weeds in the process. I then dug over 3 old beds and noticed how much better the soil texture is already on the beds I have been working this year compared to the uncultivated areas.

I picked 6 small yellow courgettes (still got male and female flowers to come on the plants so fingers crossed for a few more ), some more beetroot, the last of my spuds and 2 tree trunk leeks. I am very impressed how solid and sturdy my leeks are already ( even though they are succumbing to rust). I also weeded round the garlic and over wintering onions that are now poking through.

I am a bit nervous how my new home-made fruit cage will withstand the forecast 'storm'....

blackberryjam

« Reply #2496 on: October 27, 2013, 19:37 »
Went to the plot to secure the walk in greenhouse before storm hits, fingers crossed  :unsure:

chillimummy

« Reply #2497 on: October 27, 2013, 23:31 »
Dug up sweetcorn and weeded patch. Same with turnips, picked last few small ones and weeded. Although lots of rain, soil quite crumbly and not too soggy. Still got pumpkin patch to dig over so hoping for some dry weather  :)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2498 on: October 27, 2013, 23:40 »
Heeled in the new fruit bushes until I have time and weather to plant them properly.
My turn to help at the allotment trading hut, so lots of talking done, while filling bags of birdseed.
Anne

Aled

« Reply #2499 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08 »
Took the plastic house down, and put the tomatoes left on the windowsill.
feeling a Bit sad really, as the hour has turned and there will be no time for fresh air and daylight after work!  :(
Still get up early and enjoy some daylight before work, and make the most of the weekends!  :)
Cheers
Aled 

ptarmigan

« Reply #2500 on: October 28, 2013, 09:51 »
Emptied the dalek at home and transported contents up to allotment. Put the half rotted stuff in a bean trench and spread the good stuff on a couple of beds that need TLC. With seaweed, last year's leaves and spent mushroom compost - that's the beds all tucked up for winter.  Still a few calendula and nasturtiums flowering which are brightening the place up.

blackberryjam

« Reply #2501 on: October 29, 2013, 20:11 »
Just popped down to pick up my pumpkin, noticed a pane of glass had broken on my cold frame, it will have to wait until the weekend, also noticed that a fellow allotment owner as cut my grass I will definitely thank him on Saturday.  :)

wneva

« Reply #2502 on: October 30, 2013, 19:43 »
Sprayed bug kill stuff on my cabbages and sprouting - where it's all in little holes.  I had to gently lift the netting without causing the rather dodgy structure to collapse.   Hope this will zap the bugs and allow the crops to grow un-nibbled. 
Weeded a few leeks where necessary and collected up the runner beans stripped off the poles at the weekend.  And then home.  Next job - more digging out of the beds covered by weed control fabric.   And I 'll buy some Aquadolce beans and plant in hope of a spring crop of broad beans.  And I'd better do some planning ready for next year - what'll go where. 

I've paid for the council to collect the green wheelie bin at home every fortnight, and I'm taking home the weeds and couch roots from the lottie and piling them into the bin along with leaves and stuff from the back garden.  And they collect it - magic!!  No more trips to the tip.  Hooray.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2503 on: October 30, 2013, 20:07 »
Turned in the phacelia.
Took the fleece off the winter onions because they were still getting uprooted whether its on or off.
Put some gluebands on the apple trees.

candygold1

« Reply #2504 on: October 30, 2013, 20:29 »
put 2 more steaks in and bolted them to me shed as it had been moved a bit during the storm.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.667 seconds with 37 queries.