What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2460 on: October 20, 2013, 11:49 »
Weeded the leeks. Harvested some more kale - and resolved not to cook it too long.  Y'day evening it was lovely bright green in the steamer one minute, and then a few mins later it had turned into a murky mess.  R says it's a winter veg and need lots of cooking.   I guess it's time to take the runners down, even though there are still some beans there.

My second year apple trees (a Bramley and a Jas Grieve)  have both produced a few little apples, which aren't yet coming away so I'm waiting. Each tree has a main stem and 3 or 4 side branches.  They look like the trees that very small children draw - stick trees.

Decided to take the advice received on this site and lifted half of the weed control fabric from one bed and dug over the revealed ground.  Lots of couch roots and some desperate dandelions still hanging in after 6 months in the dark.  Filled a big dog food sack with the weed remains.  Felt great - when I can finish the other half I'll then have 5 more beds to uncover and work on.  Hopefully next year my main crop won't be couch grass and weed fabric.

Sounds to me as if you are well organised and getting there nicely. Keep at it a bit at a time. Good luck.

I'm trying to remember what it was like when I took on a new half plot as mine has almost reverted to the "left & lost" state it was in long ago. Patience and persistence is needed.... as well as lots of time.

An hour here and there will get the job done - aiming for my 3rd trip this month and more potato lifting.  :happy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

wneva

« Reply #2461 on: October 20, 2013, 19:30 »
Thanks Paul.

Today we both went down to the plot and weeded the rest of the first covered strip.  Hooray - one down and 5 to go.  R picked the remaining beans - fingers crossed - and some kale and spinach. 

It rained throughout, and we felt very virtuous.  Sprouting and cabbage looking good, and the leeks continue to leek.  Apples small and appear to be rotten.  Next job - to clear the ground around the two little apple trees.  Massive weed growth there - so that'll keep me busy for ages.

I plan to clear the first bed, by the path, so it looks better.  Right now there's lots of weed and nettle growth on the diminishing pile of manure that occupies a third of the first bed.  I'll clear it progressively, and cover it for a few months.  This should keep the parish council's weed police at bay!!

snowdrops

« Reply #2462 on: October 20, 2013, 19:44 »
Another trundle to the plot with my trusty wheels along with more spent tomato compost destined for the compost bin 1,but first a load of manure in to the bin & some comfrey leaves. Then I finished weeding the leeks & started on the raspberries before coming home.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2463 on: October 20, 2013, 19:55 »
Picked kale and spinach beet.  Fondled the apples again...nope still not ready!
It seems like the wasps have departed from the compost heaps at last, so I should be able to get that turned over now -do that tomorrow, I had my Sunday shoes on today.
Anne

Ema

« Reply #2464 on: October 20, 2013, 20:35 »
At 3 it stopped raining so managed a few hours on the plot.
Cut back the dead cucs, a lot of dead leaves from the squashes
Pruned the gooseberries
dug up the last spuds

blackberryjam

« Reply #2465 on: October 20, 2013, 21:27 »
Not much done on the plot due to weather but managed to tidy the greenhouse before it started to rain again.  Then went to picked up some comfrey plants , that were advertised on freecycle. ::)

Aled

« Reply #2466 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08 »
Absolutely nothing, its so blinking wet!
Ah well.
Aled

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2467 on: October 22, 2013, 10:43 »
 :( No visit again today...it's far too wet.

chillimummy

« Reply #2468 on: October 22, 2013, 11:01 »
Stopped raining so going to venture down for half hour to get last of sweetcorn  :)
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2469 on: October 22, 2013, 13:35 »
2 barrows of soil improver pushed up the hill, weeded the bed (should've done that first) spread the soil as a mulch on the old squash bed.
I notice the leeks are looking as if rust is starting so I took Sunshineband's advice and watered on some potash (isn't very water soluble so I don't know how much got to the leeks)
Watched the wasps while I had a cup of coffee.
More tidying, canes, pots, labels string stowed away in the hut.
Got a bit damp, inside and outside my jacket as it is a very mild 16C!

blackberryjam

« Reply #2470 on: October 23, 2013, 21:53 »
Nothing today 12 hour shift, not able to pop down after work now that the night's are drawing in, :( Hopefully I'll be able to go tomorrow, i need to plant my shallots and do some tidying up in the shed.
 Ho and plant my comfrey plants but im not sure we're to plant them yet.  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2471 on: October 23, 2013, 22:00 »
Today we managed to weed the leeks and dig anther 4 rows x 5m of our half plot. It was very sticky after all the rain. 4 water butts overflowing.  :ohmy: Forgot....planted some garlic.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 22:02 by Fairy Plotmother »

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #2472 on: October 24, 2013, 18:21 »
Not far from you plotmother, but digging today was lovely, just the right texture and not sticky but its lovely silt where we are, not like my clay in my garden a half mile away.  Had a fab hour in the sun in a t shirt pulling the last of the pumpkins out, clearing the hot bed compost heap and mulching that around.  I just love new homemade compost  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2473 on: October 24, 2013, 19:33 »
Pulled out the courgette plants and put them on the compost heap (a couple of days ago I thought I'd still got one more courgette left but the slugs had other ideas.  :()

Disentangled the runner bean bines from the Munty frame, pulled the roots out and left it all in a heap underneath (not much room left in the daleks so they need to slump down a bit first.  ::))

Pulled out the sweet corn plants and left them in a heap too - they will be dumped in the bean trench when I can move the remains of the runner beans so I can actually dig the new trench..........  :nowink:

Tried not to think about how long it will be before I can start growing these crops again......failed, had a whisky, or two.   :mellow:

Failing mush bitter know!   :happy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

blackberryjam

« Reply #2474 on: October 24, 2013, 19:57 »
Pulled up  runner beans. planted some wallflowers near the fence, give the garlic a water in the green house,weeded the herb bed. back tomo to finish weeding, and plant the shallots.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 38 queries.