What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #780 on: April 08, 2013, 12:02 »
Two days of sunshine and have even got a bit of a tan!

Busy weekend - First row of spuds in, planted out first lot of peas and sweet peas both started in the greenhouse, 3 rows of onion mixed sets went in, planted out beetroot, cabbage, red cabbage and lettce under cloches, sowed carrots, spring onions, radish, more beetroot and spinach. plus more sowings from seed in the greenhouse

Back to work today for a rest!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #781 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16 »
Finally got the potatoes in.  Charlotte, Rocket and PFA.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #782 on: April 08, 2013, 13:03 »
Last check on my plot before I go away with work for 3 weeks. I am going to have a lot of catching up to do when I get back!!!!!!

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #783 on: April 08, 2013, 15:21 »
Planted a row of Lady C's and a row of Sharpes Express and dug a couple of trenches for dwarf borlotti beans filled with last years compost and back filed.  Threw 20 beans in a bag of compost to get them started and 25 parsnips in toilet rolls
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

jmc1949

« Reply #784 on: April 08, 2013, 16:18 »
Dug a couple of raised beds and removed the couch grass. Then planted 28 King Edward Spuds about 8 inches deep.

blackberryjam

« Reply #785 on: April 08, 2013, 16:32 »
Pulled up more  weeds, and emptied the compost bin has previous owner put weeds in it, and bits of plastic. Had a general tidy up, hubby said he had  seen a Polecat :lol: told him he's had to much fresh air  :lol: pegged down  the cloches, then  took some rubbish to the skip. ::)

Yana

« Reply #786 on: April 08, 2013, 17:26 »
At last managed to get onions sets into the ground after starting them off in modules. Planted out 100 of each of Sturon and Stuttgart. Planted out 20 Golden Gourment shallots, just hope I'm not too late as I had to start these in modules too.
Planted out 40 broad bean plants into prepared bed, leaving a space for another 40 in a few weeks time (the seeds are about 2" high but need hardening off a bit before they can go out proper).
General tidy up and preparation of bed for sowing beetroot, parsnip and carrot seeds on Wednesday this week (if the rain keeps off) and found two parsnips that I had missed when clearing the bed late February. Suffice to say the parsnips were not edible.
Back home and potting up tomatoes into 3" square pots before they get root bound.

I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

allot2learn

« Reply #787 on: April 08, 2013, 22:03 »
Two rows of Marro Bigga peas laid to rest today.  :) Now eagerly awaiting the shoots coming up.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #788 on: April 08, 2013, 22:26 »
Walked about a lot shifting things from one plot to another, anything to keep warm!
Anne

al78

« Reply #789 on: April 08, 2013, 23:45 »
Got one bed planted with early and 2nd early potatoes earlier this evening in rapidly fading daylight.

fatcat1955

« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2013, 00:10 »
Rotovated the whole plot, planted 30 raspberry cane's put the munty frame up watered the GH, hey where's the daylight gone?

mike86

« Reply #791 on: April 09, 2013, 09:48 »
popped down to water a couple of the beds last night, and on the way home spotted a shed heaped up on someones drive. a quic chat later and i was carrying flat packed shed quater of a mile back to the plot. pitch black when finished. but hey i got a free shed. now just have to clear the area and build the thing. should keep me out of trouble next weekend tho  :)

jim1972

« Reply #792 on: April 09, 2013, 16:39 »
Planted aprox 200 sturon onion sets and 160 red onion sets. Red onion sets from wilkos did not have any other name, anybody know what type they are ?
Cheers
Jim

Wild Rose

« Reply #793 on: April 09, 2013, 19:55 »
Drove to the plot only to discover hubby didn't put the seed potato in the boot like I asked :mad: Back home to pick them up then try again! Was there 2 hours and managed to get 6 rows of spuds in. Never done it before so feeling pleased with myself. 3 rows of 2nd earlies (Estima) and 3 rows of maincrop (Maris Piper). Think I'm regretting my choice of maincrop now though, just read that Maris Piper are not at all good for blight or slugs. I bought them cuz that's what we buy from the supermarket every week. Pleased with the review of Estima though. I suppose it's all part of this vast learning curve! 

Also, just realised that the tray of cauliflower (All the Year Round) has all popped up  :) Planted on 1/4/13. Got them in a plastic mini greenhouse on my patio so as it's been pretty cool I expected them to take longer than that!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 20:16 by Wild Rose »

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #794 on: April 09, 2013, 22:20 »
Horrible drizzly morning, despite BBC weather forecast  >:(  Thanks BBC - try entertaining and 4 and 5 year old in that!!

Cut some bean poles from the sites coppice - very late, but illness and weather has stopped me doing it before.

I tried to dig out some raspberry bushes on the new plots but the clay was too wet.  Ditto when trying to trim up the tuffets of grass surrounding the beds. 

I decided instead to take my azada to the decrepit tool chest on the new plot and easily filled four trugs with rotten wood which I took to the council tip for recycling.  Great to take my weather related frustrations out on the old tool chest!!!!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.523 seconds with 36 queries.