What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #765 on: April 07, 2013, 16:41 »
My turn on the allotment shop, very busy indeed.
Anne

blackberryjam

« Reply #766 on: April 07, 2013, 16:49 »
Painted trellis for sweet peas,planted potatoes cabbage and cauliflower and I've been offered a greenhouse  :happy:. At home I've planted gladioli and strawberries ,a good day.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #767 on: April 07, 2013, 17:02 »
Finally emptied my dalek composter, woohoo!  :D  Also tipped out the compost tumbler I bought towards the end of last year and I must admit I'm pretty pleased with the results... :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #768 on: April 07, 2013, 17:23 »
Sowed 2 rows of parsnips and 1 row of boltardy beet. Mrs W, worked chicken manure pellets into the overwinter onions to give them a boost ready for the heatwave 8)

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #769 on: April 07, 2013, 18:34 »
Sowed one row of each of the following Potatoe.
Elizabeth, Golden Nugget and Belana.
The rest can go in later.
Cut the paths and edges on both plots and generally pottered.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

snowdrops

« Reply #770 on: April 07, 2013, 18:48 »
Took 2 large bags & 3 tubs of compostable waste,a bag of wood chippings & 2 bags of shredded paper,all put in the compost bin with a sprinkle of chicken pellets to speed it up. Then back home to empty the greenhouse so that Mr S & I could clean it inside & out. Boy did it need it,I hadn't managed to get the pots of compost out from the tomatoes,cucumbers & chilli's last Autumn. Never mind all sorted now,I put the bench back in returned the canna lillies & watered them. Mr S kindly fitted the automatic openers for the louvres after I'd let a pane of glass slip out & smash. :ohmy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #771 on: April 07, 2013, 19:10 »
Got back from hol yesterday to discover that although my leeks and Toms he survived well, all my 6 week old celeriac seedlings had died  :(

Today I re-sowed them in the hope they will catch up. I also sowed red cabbage, psb and dwarf French beans. Down at the allotment I planted out all 40 ish of my 3 potato varieties and 'earthed up' some of the onion sets as they seem to have worked their way to the surface and had popped out in some cases.

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #772 on: April 07, 2013, 19:24 »
1 row of Charlottes & 1 row of Maris Pipers put in. Approx 8 rows x 6 feet long of parsnip seeds sown - abandoned about 100 that I had put in newspaper rolls well over a month ago and put in the cold frame, hardly any of them had germinated so just poured all  the contents on top of my new rows and will just see what happens!. Broad beans planted out and the last dozen seeds put in to make 2 rows about 12 foot long. Dug over the majority of the remaining uncovered areas and stuck a bit of horse manure on top of a "claggy" area. Got home and potted on some peppers, aubergines and topped up a few tomatoes to give them a bit more support. Possibly broke my new years resolution of starting things too early by sticking 3 dozen sweetcorn seeds into peat pots and stuck them on my lads bedroom windowsill.
The suns out, the cold and wind are hopefully going to calm down....Lets get ready to rumble!  :D

Yana

« Reply #773 on: April 07, 2013, 19:35 »
A good tidy up on the plots ready for a mega-planting/sowing session tomorrow.
Split the leeks up and transplanted into paper cups in bunches of 5-6. Ended up with about 40 cups.
In and out the greenhouse and house again with seedlings hardening off and now the peas are well on their way (don't ever have any luck direct sowing) will need to sort the frame a la DD.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #774 on: April 07, 2013, 20:32 »
Dug over the biggest bed, OH dug over the last half of the medium sized bed, sowed 2 types of lettuce, French breakfast radish, in the mini poly tunnel between 2 rows of broad beans and sowed pumpkin and butternut squash under another poly tunnel.

Oh, and had a picnic with misses and son

Oh, and cut back a load of blackberry brambles I didn't know we're mine.

Oh yeah, and sowed some French beans under some black membrane, spoke to the allotment boss for a bit and met another allotment holder.

Good day, sunny, warm, life's good...
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

east hall

« Reply #775 on: April 07, 2013, 20:51 »
spent the day planting turnip ,beetroot ,peas ,asparagus peas and onions wanted to do so much more as the sun was shining but a pulled muscle in my back prevented this hopefully next weekend  :)

JJ

« Reply #776 on: April 07, 2013, 21:26 »
Put my early's in and onions at last :D
Cut grass and dug two more beds over
jj

Jackypam

« Reply #777 on: April 07, 2013, 21:36 »
I dug all the grass out of the raspberry bed ( half a lawn's worth) without damaging too many new shoots.  Dug over a couple of raised beds and weeded the asparagus bed.   Mr S. mowed the paths and did the edges.  The sun shone and it was warm enough to take off my hoodie - mind you I was digging...

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #778 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13 »
Had a lovely day in the sun yesterday. :) Planted my potatoes and raspberries. I was very surprised that very few were on the allotment considering it's the first decent weekend we've had. I was going to stay longer and dig a seed bed and sort out the runner bean bed , but decided due to the weather being generally cold, there was no hurry! :(  Knowing my luck, it will rain next weekend.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #779 on: April 08, 2013, 10:46 »
We cleared the last of the leeks yesterday and have some new seedlings which will go in for next year.

We plan to put parsnips, beetroots and salads in the bed that the leeks were in.  The bed got a light digging over (we have surface mulched and planted the leeks through newspaper, topped with grass clippings, so the weeding was minimal) and a little sprinkle of bfb.  The soil was light and fluffy - the benefit of a raised bed. 

I have some small lettuce plants which will be moved today into this bed, and will inter-plant with parsnips and beetroot.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 30 queries.