What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #795 on: April 09, 2013, 22:44 »
A couple of hours down the lottie after working four 12hr shifts. Got some tomato and peppers pricked out and potted on! :)

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #796 on: April 09, 2013, 23:13 »
 ::)Finally feel like I am eligible to write something on here.
After waiting for all this rubbish weather to move on.....today I sowed some radish and carrots. Hip hip.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2013, 08:59 »
im on my way up the lottie now and im sowing peas, and parsnips, weather is on the up so in they go.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 14:04 by richy »

toxorebel

« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2013, 11:25 »
I got down to the plot yesterday evening for a couple of hours - planted a row of first earlies, very late for me but obviously the constant frost has kept me from doing this sooner.  Realised how out of condition I am as digging the trench nearly killed me!  Hopefully a few more weeks of hard graft down the plot will sort that out :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2013, 14:39 »
Dug over and raked 2 of my smaller beds, planted out some strawberry plants and started chopping down brambles to make space for my compost heap. Sadly the clearing of these brambles resulted in the snapping of my spade :( the root ball I eventually dug out was solid 'wood' and easily the size if 3 fists!

I am itching to start sowing things like courgettes, squash and sweet corn indoors but I am being good and holding fire for another week or so....

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #800 on: April 10, 2013, 15:15 »
I will be dropping in on my way home from work (I can walk by the gate if I go the scenic route) - to water where I sowed some peas and also some seedlings (turnips, beetroot, parsnips).

I will also chuck some phacelia seeds about as well, for the bees.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #801 on: April 10, 2013, 16:22 »
Finally planted the potatoes, about 40 plants in all, spring cleaned the shed, sowed some leeks whilst hubby strengthened the new fence as we weren't sure it was going to withstand the winds!  :ohmy:
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

candygold1

« Reply #802 on: April 10, 2013, 16:55 »
didnt make it up the plot today had a course at work,- managed to sow some early carrots and peas in tubs at home.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #803 on: April 10, 2013, 17:08 »
Tidied up, fed, and mulched the strawberries, ditto the rather mangy looking overwintered perpetual spinach.

Sowed climbing French beans in a planter in the greenhouse (one of this year's experiments.)

Discovered that the Delphiniums obviously think it's spring, but luckily the slugs and snails haven't found them yet, so they got fed, mulched and slug baited.

No sign of the autumn raspberries shooting yet, but they will do soon, so I fed and slug baited them too as I have known the young shoots get eaten in the past.

Had a cuppa and biscuits sat out in the garden with no jacket on - not done that for a long time!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

grendel

« Reply #804 on: April 10, 2013, 18:44 »
got down the plot again today, took the rotovator and gave it another pass then raked off the weeds and planted onions, plus 3 rows of assorted peas, cherokee beans and runner beans, I'll just stick some stakes in and we'll see what happens. I like random.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #805 on: April 10, 2013, 19:10 »
Not so much as on the plot but i just had a phone call from a local stables to tell me i could go and get manuar from them, they told me that they have around 20 - 30 tons of it :blink: mostly well rotted, how the helllll am i going to collect all that? i can collect a ton at a time so i think i will be doing a few trips now and few at the end of the year too, think i might have to share this one, looks like im going to have to build a few giant compost heaps.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2013, 20:44 »
After work planted a row of international kidney only 3 or 4 rows to do then all spuds in. 7 rows in total
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2013, 20:55 »
Repairing(rebuilding) the raised beds, next door but one is doing a house renovation, he gave me a load of old floorboards, any that are too far gone will do for the fire. :)
    Made five galls. of W.O.W. this morning nearly forgot. ;)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2013, 21:01 »
Spent the day doing a planning application for site composting toilet (oh the joy!)

Would rather have been digging and planting on my plot!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2013, 21:12 »
I'm a new plot holder in South London (only 5 years on the waiting list) - climbed over the fence (no key yet! :D) and dug up grass and weeds.....but did get some manure on part of the plot and got a few seeds on the go.  Met lots of friendly helpful people  ::) and joy of joy have the water tank at one corner of my plot. Yay (apart from the snail attraction-ness of it)
It's going to be a great Summer!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 38 queries.