What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #2610 on: December 01, 2013, 19:57 »
Took the peelings etc & found that I had had a delivery of manure to my plot,so I put 3 barrowfuls onto the compost bin after I had put on a black bin bag full of shredded paper,then the veg waste. Dug the first of my parsnips-they were a bit forked & wrapped round each other but were superb roasted with dinner. Then I picked all the borlotti beans off ready to dry.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2611 on: December 01, 2013, 20:19 »
Today made another handle,made a base with scaffold board for my new (free)greenhouse moved two pallet compost heaps and had a 9 ton farm trailer load of fairly rotted farm manure delivered on lottie #3 cant wait for tomorrow to spread on lottie#1 and #3 : :lol: love a bit of graft :D. darren
diggity dig dig

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2612 on: December 02, 2013, 18:46 »
Finally took the veggiemesh cage off the raised brassica bed and staked the kale (how high does cavolo nero grow?) as it was bending a bit.  Trimmed more strawbs back and had a quick furtle of the Oca.  ::) :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2613 on: December 02, 2013, 21:37 »
ooooooh :blink: me poor little back, well got all the muck shifted  got it all to do again tomorrow as one of the old boys on site  had 9 ton delivered today he cant manage it, so i said i will do it for him  :blink: in return he paid the £30.00 for my muck for me   :D ohhh bless him (thanks harry) and i made a handle for his old trusty fork, he was buzzin :lol: darren

jmc1949

« Reply #2614 on: December 05, 2013, 10:58 »
Oops. A day late posting. Yesterday I finished my winter digging and manure spreading. Thank goodness for that. :)

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2615 on: December 05, 2013, 13:08 »
Hmm- blowing a gale today but yesterday cleared the last of the Jerusalem Artichokes and so the plot just contains swedes, parsnips and leeks. And the green manure and the manure!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2616 on: December 05, 2013, 14:12 »
cleared up other peoples damaged greenhouses,moved flying daleks and buckets my good deed for the day :D.darren

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2617 on: December 05, 2013, 17:25 »
Went down to check late afternoon - greenhouse damaged but no bits lost just scattered so collected and piled up in the greenhouse. Plastic cold frame has vanished! Nowhere on the site >:( Then picked up other people bits as nobody else around.

Yana

« Reply #2618 on: December 05, 2013, 18:01 »
Laid weed suppressant membrane between raised beds on plot 3, hanging on tightly as the wind was whipping the fabric all over the place. Laid 20 or so paving slabs, partly to keep the fabric down but mainly to get to the point where I should be able to finish the paths at the weekend when the OH moves the rest of the paving slabs from the drive to the lottie plot.
No manure delivery so looks like a trips to the stables 10 miles away to collect some.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2619 on: December 06, 2013, 16:50 »
In the cold light of day found my plastic cold frame hiding behind a shed! And repaired the greenhouse - but I've got at least three pieces of PVC glazing that don't fit :blush: and I don't have one of mine :(

R6robbo

« Reply #2620 on: December 06, 2013, 18:21 »
Got a phonecall yesterday from a lotty neighbour informing me that my shed roof
was up a tree so went in darkness after work to retrieve said roof.

TODAY; Put said roof back where it should be, on the shed. New felt needed now though. Grrr!
After a 3 year wait i finally have my allotment. HELP! (2/10/11)

Mr Dog

« Reply #2621 on: December 06, 2013, 19:45 »
Went with trepidation of what to expect after yesterday's wind. Found 7 panes of glass out of the greenhouse. 3 were about 20ft away but intact, with the other 4 within 2ft but smashed. I've been relatively lucky though with one of my neighbour's greenhouse totally destroyed and the other neighbour's shed minus a roof and front apex. Various other items of debris scattered all around - saw one plot holder from the other end of the site rescuing his pvc sheets from the plots beyond mine! Replaced the intact sheets, did some (more) digging and then went to get some new glass.

Yana

« Reply #2622 on: December 06, 2013, 21:31 »
Moved gooseberry bushes from plot 2 to plot 3. Collected manure from stables and dug into beds where gooseberry bushes were for squash and pumpkins next year.
Put in spring bulbs that were left over from pots at home. Will cheer the plot up in spring.

diospyros

« Reply #2623 on: December 07, 2013, 17:54 »
Today I spent a couple of hours up the plot first thing resulting in a car load of plastic for the tip, a car load of metal for the scrap men, a medium sized bonfire heap and a pile of "usable" timber and canes which was a bit smaller when I went back this afternoon having told a bloke I met to help himself!

So this afternoon several barrow loads of loose soil off the hedge bank and onto the plot just so I could get to the base of the bushes to start laying, and... gulp... started laying.  Was a bit nerve wracking to start with as I could see three OB's down the other end of the site watching me and probably chuntering and I was wondering what I was going to do if all the stems just snapped off leaving me with a huge gap, but it went OK. Some of the stems are still alive.  I'm not saying it's the best bit of hedge laying ever seen, but it will do!  Had to stop in the end 'cos it got dark.

Am knackered though, it's hard work wrestling trees!

pompeyboy61

« Reply #2624 on: December 07, 2013, 21:14 »
Made up several bags of fallen leaves with the lawn mower chopping them into smaller pieces so quicker to rot down from the home garden then took them down to the allotment. Checked and no wind damage. It was just a lovely warm sunny day in December so went back to the garden at home and cleared more of the herbaceous borders . A real bonus day. :)

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.768 seconds with 28 queries.