What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1515 on: June 10, 2013, 22:50 »
Lots of weeding and watering. Sowed different types of radish, some oriental mustard and more kohl rabi. Hubby mulched the kale/cabbage bed with grass cuttings. Made some more comfrey tea, and nipped off the tomato sideshoots. Had a serious word with the peas and mangetout and demanded they climb up the lovely supports we've provided  :D Oh, almost forgot - sowed some mooli for winter use, and planted out leeks and spring onions

baldy-bob

• It's got two choices....grow or no grow
« Reply #1516 on: June 10, 2013, 23:48 »
Got the hoe moving on the Brassica bed this evening and managed to neatly slice through one of my cabbage plants. Woe!! Sowed some more Dwarf French Beans in modules as insurance in case the ones I sowed in the ground the other day don't make it, or get hoed off!!! Strawberries starting to ripen in tunnel now. Very tasty. 

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #1517 on: June 11, 2013, 11:41 »
Dropped off three bags of compost and watered, was a bit chilly
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

mum51965

« Reply #1518 on: June 11, 2013, 14:28 »
Going down after school to plant pumpkins, butternut squash, turban gourds, Chinese cabbage, more carrots and dwarf French beans. Will check in later because the rain is coming on.

jmc1949

« Reply #1519 on: June 11, 2013, 14:33 »
Finished the weeding today. Put stakes in and tied up the broad beans. Also put another row of string around the peas. Then measured up the top area of plot 2. It will be reorganised over the winter. Took home some Comfrey roots that I've been given and potted them up as the area for them isn't ready.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1520 on: June 11, 2013, 18:24 »
Potted up sweet potatoes in the GH.  Planted some more tomatoes in one of the borders.  Barrowed some manure onto the raspberries and fruit beds. 
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1521 on: June 11, 2013, 20:18 »
Hubby has just sent a picture to show me finally all three sowings of the french beans are now in the plot.  :)

Hes also putting in my vocal peas that have been moaning for the last ten days that they were going to start a veggie riot if they didnt get planted.  ::)

Also going in is the fourth bean frame. Beans beans are good for your heart. Hehe

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1522 on: June 11, 2013, 20:36 »
Dug the footings for my new second hand shed,concreting tomorrow weather permitting, sowed some more spring onions and radish and weeded the carrots and onions. 

mrswashi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1523 on: June 11, 2013, 21:00 »
Popped down this am to take sweet peas I've been meaning to plant out for the last week, weeded, watered and poured some water into my new water butt, it's going to take ages to fill!

Jon Gale

« Reply #1524 on: June 11, 2013, 21:04 »
Double digging. This breaking new ground malarky is slow going. Desperate to get stuff planted, but want to prepare the ground properly first.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1525 on: June 11, 2013, 23:31 »
Weeded the plot and found my parsnips  all but three germinated , a lot better than last year
John
Happy gardening
John
A gardeners work is never done.

miggs

« Reply #1526 on: June 12, 2013, 07:48 »
Just more general weeding allround the plot last night for a few hours. When I spoke to Nigel at the council a few weeks ago about getting the fence post repaired he said speak to Jim, next door plot to me about water. Finally met Jim last night and spoke to him about the water situation . What nigel has done is install water on Jims plot and give him a 50m hose. This will reach all the plots if the water but's are placed in certain places. Jim told me that if I place my butt's on the boundary of mine/his plot he will fill them for me whenever they look low. That will do for me. Just need to get the butt's upto the site now.

Eblana

« Reply #1527 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55 »
Popped up last night as I got a call from a neighbour to say that there was a lot of water lying on the ground around my raised beds (much more than any of the other plots).  He didn't have wellies with him so he couldn't get in to see what was wrong.  Found the place flooded >:(discovered that someone had turned the tap on to fill the water butts on the site and forgot to turn it off.  They were all full and as mine is the last on the run it was overflowing down through my plot and across the path, with the result my plot and the three below me are all flooded.  Managed to turn the water off and to bale some of the water off the plots into the little stream that runs down the side of the plots.  Thankfully it is dry and sunny here today so it should dry out a bit before the next rains arrive. mad as hell!!

Jon Gale

« Reply #1528 on: June 12, 2013, 13:46 »
Good long stint down there this morning. More digging! Enough done to get some potatoes planted (2nd earlies). Now to walk the dog and see if I have enough time to go back down and dig some more.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1529 on: June 12, 2013, 19:53 »
Not a lot of time at the plot today - the rain was torrential, but I am hoping the potatoes will be grateful for it!

I continued work in the GH.  I dug over the remaining soil, planted aubergines and set two paving slabs for my sweet potato pots to stand on. 

I also placed a fancy black metal shelf unit (which was gifted to me years ago for my conservatory) in the centre at the back as a backdrop.  (It looks like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-4-TIER-METAL-SHELF-DISPLAY-UNIT-BAKERS-RACK-/121120788363?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item1c335c8f8b).  It also makes a handy shelf unit in spring, but you can collapse down the shelves so it looks almost like a wrought iron screen, making it nice to place pots of geraniums against, etc. 

I am quite pleased with the overall look, although felt guilty when I uprooted three sloworms from their hidey-holes.

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 37 queries.