What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

Jackypam

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1485 on: June 08, 2013, 22:12 »
Shopping with teenage daughter ...all day!  Went down late and picked the first broad beans and last asparagus for risotto.  At eh last moment decided to beat the pigeons to it and picked the tops off the peas as well!  It was very tasty, and hopefully the peas won't mind too much!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1486 on: June 08, 2013, 23:02 »
Planted my peas and built my pea support (I know, I know, late!), transplanted last of the leeks and the broccoli. Planted out some dahlias I grew from seed that have been languishing, pot bound for weeks.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #1487 on: June 08, 2013, 23:18 »
Finished digging the barbie bed and planted it up - Yay!! It has sweetcorn, garlic, beans and beetroot, plus a poached egg plant for good measure.

Golden purslane seeds germinated in a record 24 hours in the propagator. Hope they keep growing as speedily.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1488 on: June 09, 2013, 10:50 »
Just got back, hoed all the beds, i need to get my hoe sharpened as it was hard work.

Pulled out all the volunteer potatoes, when will they give up trying, i just keep whipping off the green. That little spud cant keep going for ever.

Also cleared all the path ways. Phew. Tidied up the peas and gave them a helping hand with a piece of twine to keep them out of my way while i hoed the edge of the bed.

Only one other allotment holder on site was one of the miserable old boys so it was lovely and quiet  :lol:

The girls came up with chris after an hour and a half and florence helped dad re-plant the couch grass he was pulling out.  :lol: we need to work on plants and weeds with her.

Hubby going up later to keep up the good work.

grendel

« Reply #1489 on: June 09, 2013, 13:25 »
nothing again, watered plants in garden, and spotted my first two pea sized strawberries starting to turn red.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1490 on: June 09, 2013, 13:31 »
nothing again, watered plants in garden, and spotted my first two pea sized strawberries starting to turn red.
Grendel

Mine are not turning red, i may do an alice in wonderland soon and start painting them red  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1491 on: June 09, 2013, 14:31 »
Full weekly clean of the chicken coop and run. Gave the ladies a few treats and they gave me a full 10 eggs!!
Good lovely ladies! :D

Planted out 7 lettuces that were left over from the last lot of planting out.
My climbing french beans are all sprouting along the bottom of the munty bean frame :D
It's all lookin' gooooood! :happy:

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1492 on: June 09, 2013, 14:37 »
Spent 3 hours this morning planting out sweetcorn, strawberries and beans. Since I got home made another 15 of Aelfs milk bottle strawberry containers, now deciding whether to go back and plant them up, as I want to be all done with the plot by 6pm today to have time to cook and eat dinner before the grand prix.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1493 on: June 09, 2013, 16:05 »
Hubby has just re-done the couch grass along the back of plot 67 we had lost the fruit bushes due to the council strimming them off at ground level. They now have half round posts behind each one to mark their location. Hes also put up the 9 inch kicker boards along the back to give the council a clear line to follow.
He also unearthed a large piece of trellis in good condition so hes put that behind one of the fruit bushes.

Hes a good man really even if i do moan.  :wub: just cat tell him very often. He has just taken 14 large buckets of weeds to the tip.  :ohmy: we are still digging dads so thats not just off my plot  :lol:

All starting to take shape now and hopefully the council wont strim the bushes agai when they arrive this week to do the grass murdering  ::)

landgirl28

« Reply #1494 on: June 09, 2013, 16:17 »
Today I cut back grass, nettles, brambles, buttercup etc that had completely hidden path between my plot and neighbours. I also cut down a section of the lower plot to get it ready for lasagne beds  :)
Doesn't feel like much but I was starting to burn in the sun!

blackberryjam

« Reply #1495 on: June 09, 2013, 16:54 »
Oh my, a week away and the weeds are every where. First thing was weeding and I found my parsnips amongst the weeds. Every thing as grown so much in a week. I've even got two little cucumbers forming  :)

Jon Gale

« Reply #1496 on: June 09, 2013, 17:08 »
More digging. First 2 wigwams of runners beans planted - I think I may have jumped the gun and won't be surprised if the strong wind today does for them. Also prepared the flower bed and it has been planted up with iris, ixia and dahlias.

Youngest son, aged 10, has filled a few wheelbarrows of loose bits of turf, where they just rotavated the old hayfield iinto the plots.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1497 on: June 09, 2013, 18:09 »
2nd visit of the day, making 6 hours in total and this time managed to persuade hubby to come too. He dug 2 bits of bed for me, whilst I planted up more strawberries, now have 54 hanging in Aelf's milk bottle containers.
Then planted out the remaining pumpkings / squash in the last bits of space on the plot. Only one bit of space left now, and that is for the leeks. Can't decide whether to plant them out or not yet as they're still like blades of grass.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1498 on: June 09, 2013, 19:24 »
Weeded and watered. The celtuce are looking better after transplant a weeks or so ago after a couple of days of looking very sad! Hope it does no cause problems as they are my "experiment". Everything else coming along nicely. No rain forecast and temps over 60F until Thursday here in the (cold) north-west! Might try outdoor tomatoes at this rate!! :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1499 on: June 09, 2013, 19:51 »
Sowed swede in modules, and the next lot of beetroot and lettuce.

Potted on the butternut plants as another week in the warmth of my greenhouse, then a week being hardened off will hopefully get them moving.

Cut down the massive jasmine plant in the greenhouse at home, filling almost the whole of the green wheelie bin with the debris. Fixed the broken pane of glass with parcel tape.

Potted on the mouse melons and anchocha ---both looking good now  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 37 queries.