hi guys im new to this whole allotment business HELP

• 18 Replies

JohnB47

Re: hi guys im new to this whole allotment business HELP
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 19:19 »
Also, I would say don't be too reluctant to buy seedlings from a Garden Centre, particularly if you want quick results and something for the kids to see straight away. There'll be plenty of time later for working out what to grow from seed.

And - if there are plants already on the site you choose, don't be too quick to discard them. Eg  fruit bishes, rhubarb etc. Maybe plant your own versions for a future crop and enjoy the existing plants bounty in the meantime.

You'll enjoy it, no matter what you decide to do.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 20:37 by JohnB47 »

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 21:04 »
Welcome.  There is other advice on this on here,  but you mention you might have a choice of allotments. If you can, in order of priority. Choose one

1.  in full sun - no trees
2.  higher up, not at the bottom end of a boggy field
3.  with neat and tidy neighbors
4.  near the water supply

Or just get one near one of the allotment committee members - somehow they always choose the best spots.

You can ignore all this and still do well. It's just a bit harder !
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

JaniceB

• Fighting clay and rabbits
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 18:31 »
If you don't have time to clear a patch, get some weed membrane or woven black fabric called Mypex(?). Dig a 30 cms square hole, chuck in some compost, lay a bed-sized sheet of mypex over the top and weigh down the edges. Cut a small hole over the compost hole and bung in a butternut squash plant. They grow like stink, will cover the black fabric in no time and when you peel off the Mypex in autumn, some of the weeds will have died.

Also, I found beetroot a reassuring and quick thing to get going.

Welcome to a very rewarding and absorbing pastime!

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 13:01 »
For the first year I would pick out things that are simply easy, and preferably cheap to get.
I would half expect the first few months to be spent getting the plot into shape, most are not pristine, flat, weed free and a fine tilth. Unlike the BBC allotments they gave people.

Depending on the size, mark the plot into segments, say 4 or 5 and set about getting each into a useable state. Getting rid of weeds is your choice, dig them up or spray and dig are the 2 realistic options. Whichever opion you will end up digging.

A few fruit bushes will always be easy - blackcurrant, gooseberry. Search out places like Poundland they will often have some small things in. I would avoid raspberries, they grow well but also spread. Get Autumn fruiting ones if you get any, just simpler to prune.

Veg, try turnips, swede, carrots, potato's may be a bit late but if there are any around put a couple of rows in. Again places like poundland and wilkinson may have some. I know that the B&M homebargins or what ever do as they are selling potatoes and onions off at 20p at present. At 20p you have nothing to lose.

Other options are brocolli, possibly leeks.
Not sure about cauliflower but why not.
Equally get ready grown plantlets from a market.

As it is May and a bit late in the season I would say get the plot dug over and beaten into shape and any seeds or plant that is reduced/cheap get them give them a try.

Noticed a few rhubarb plants are on offer, 2 of them will do good, dig a hole each, empty a bag of manure in and drop the rhubarb on, then cover the hole/rhubarb over. It will generally grow like a triffid.

A few rows of salad items can usually be attempted at almost any time of year.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 13:06 by AnnieB »

xx
Fishy business

Started by Knoblauch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 10:50
by Ice
xx
This Tin Foil Business

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 22:27
by Bernard
question
hey guys, its been a while! I need help with what and where!

Started by HippyMomma on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 09:25
by HippyMomma
xx
Hi guys my plot.

Started by Russ.. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 21:20
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 31 queries.