Green on top of soil

• 9 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Green on top of soil
« on: May 08, 2014, 17:21 »
All my pots and modules have gone green on the top of the soil. What causes this?
I am trying hard to balance the watering of everything and lift the pots and trays to see if they are light but I am having the odd pot or odd module that is dry  so I then add more water. Am I over watering

cadalot

Re: Green on top of soil
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 17:36 »
I had similar problems with my first lot of onions, but now I water from the bottom by standing the module in a bath of water for a while and a light spray on the top when I visit on a Sunday.

Problem is doing it this way it takes so long to water, so yesterday I bought Gravel Trays and have filled with about 5-6mm of water and hopefully I can top them up twice or 3 times a week from now on.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 17:36 »
If you can do it without damaging the plants, try 'tickling' the surface of the soil with a suitable implement (e.g. cutlery fork or plant label) to disturb it a little (the algae don't like it although it probably won't cure it altogether.)

You may have overwatered, but over time it tends to happen anyway at this time of year when humidity levels are often quite high, and in my experience is more unsightly than a real threat to the plants unless it gets really out of control.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 17:38 »
 I used a bamboo skewer to rough up the surface a little on mine when it happened

Ma Lowe

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 17:39 »
Forgot to say I always water in the tray not in the pots which is why I am a tad confused as to why the soil is green. Should I do anything like scrape it off or anything?

RaptorUK

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 17:51 »
Forgot to say I always water in the tray not in the pots which is why I am a tad confused as to why the soil is green. Should I do anything like scrape it off or anything?

Perhaps you over compacted the soil when you filled the tray/cells ?  I am guilty of doing this and had "green" soil in all my onions, leeks, shallots . . . but not in my lettuce,  I didn't compact that at all just gave the cells a few taps to settle and have only watered them from below.

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 18:10 »
Whilst it might be a symptom of overwatering, I tend to agree with JayG, its one of those things that happens and is more cosmetic that a real problem.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 18:14 »
Thanks all as long as it's not detrimental to the plants I am a tad happier. I do find watering a problem though and always worry that I don't give them enough so I think maybe I need to back off the watering a little  :D

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 20:01 »
I usually just scrape it off or break it up with a plant label.
Anne

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 13:34 »
It's easy to over-water, especially if you go by the look and/or feel of the compost surface. I geberally use the weight test by lifting the pot and, if it feels light, then I water it from the bottom.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
green soil!

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 00:24
by mushroom
xx
Soil going green in pots

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 18:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
what type of green manure for sandy soil please

Started by rubyrose on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 21:37
by rubyrose
xx
Green Stuff(Most probably Moss) on the soil in greenhouse.Help Please?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 00:04
by peterjf

Page created in 0.683 seconds with 30 queries.