Fishy business

• 5 Replies

Knoblauch

Fishy business
« on: June 24, 2009, 21:22 »
New post in the allotment section of a cycling forum that at least two of us frequent:

A super effective soil improver for those near harbours.
 Down here some of us catch the fish known as Mullet purely to dig in to our allotments.
 We don't generaly eat this fish as it is a bottom feeder and consumes stuff we'd rather not think about from the harbour mud.
 Also, when you come to gut the fellow its stomach contents tend to 'taint' the flesh which is actually quite white and tasty especially if caught in the open sea.
 (unlike fox or badger which are dark red, slightly bitter and greasy but still make a good soil conditioner)
 One fish is placed under a tomato plant for example is quite enough for the season and leaves no trace after only a couple of weeks.

Can't you get salmonella from doing that?  I've been trying to mullet over but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me ...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Fishy business
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 21:32 »
I think that's one of the tips that Bob Flowerdew recommends.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:45 »
We add ground feeder fish to our peach tree soil (we're far from any lake or coast) and the trees love it. No salmonella as you're not eating the fish, and the fish naturally rots in the ground in normal processes. If you haven't got the actual fish, then fish emulsions sold in shops is a close 2nd.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:51 »
Killing fish just to use as fertiliser is a disgraceful waste; mullet can taste great if they are cooked properly (as good as bass I recon), so use the waste by all means, but with all fish stocks being so depleted this is not the way to go. For that reason I will never use fishmeal; this is mostly either sandeel caught specially or 'waste' fish from destructive fisheries that have a huge bycatch. I will always use mineral phosphate instead- most of this is from Morocco and is made of the fossil bones of fish that died 65 million years ago. It is always going to be better using a fish that is long dead than killing one specially.

Charlie

beansticks

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46 »
I agree Charlie.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:50 »
"Salmon  ella"  "Mullet over".  I think Knobby was having a laugh. ;) :D
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
non-fishy organic aphid spray?

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 19, 2012, 11:15
by surbie100
xx
This Tin Foil Business

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 22:27
by Bernard
question
hi guys im new to this whole allotment business HELP

Started by eevee on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 13:01
by AnnieB

Page created in 0.965 seconds with 35 queries.