Roll them carrots...

• 41 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Roll them carrots...
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 09:05 »
What you trying to suggest about us Springlands.  All sober sensible folk on here you know  :nowink:  :lol:

Being prone to the odd madcat idea myself  ::)  I get a lot of sage advice from the plot elders  ;)  I enjoy chatting with them all but they are used to me now and just roll their eyes as I press on with my latest bonkers plan.

I've got Achocha on the plot this year and that's baffling them all.  I saw a picture on The Real Seed Company website of it growing up a runner bean type bamboo cane support row and thought I could do that!   :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 11:38 »
That's interesting New Shoot.

Why can't you do these things ever?

I was taught that very early on and much more inexperienced than I am now, when I moaned a tiny bit about a plot next to me, which was all over the place (back in 1985 this is).

The chap who I was chatting to reminded me that she was an old lady who lived by herself, and had no need for great long rows of veg, she needed just a few, and as she was pretty good at gardening, she'd grow - say - a 6' row of carrots which were enough, and then branch out on all the sorts of exotic stuff which nobody had ever heard of!

From then on we were the best of friends, and on one memorable occasion, she said that 'The council only judge these gardens by the edges being cut straight - Paaaah!'! Big grin from Growster at that one too!

Also she gave me her old lawnmower, which was a Webb Bowling Green model and the hardest push mower I've ever handled, because it had about 4,000 blades to cut the sward to about 1/10th of an inch either way...

Nice old lady! Gone now.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 22:28 »
only 'slightly' off topic ;)......do carrot root flies infest all season?  the reason i ask, is that my environmesh tunnel is about to explode with the leaves from my carrots, but i dont want to undo all the good work by uncovering them at this stage.  also, i dont have a roller to squish them:lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 17:47 »
Goose, I think the advice is to keep them covered all the time
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

LilacSandy

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 18:39 »
I may be thick, I am definatly blond ( I do dye my roots brown) but why would you want to roller or tread down on carrots!! :unsure: ???

gobs

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 18:59 »
I may be thick, I am definatly blond ( I do dye my roots brown) but why would you want to roller or tread down on carrots!! :unsure: ???

You must understand this thread the best, then.

I roller my hair. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 19:00 »

I'm sure you're both intelligent and beautiful but you don't seem to have read this thread from the beginning!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LilacSandy

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 19:32 »
JayG, I have read from the begining and I still do not understand :unsure: it seems to me that they are saying you squash the follage to kill the root fly, but if you do that you attract the fly because you have squashed the follage and the smell attracts them..

I will go away and suck my thumb in the corner.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 19:36 »
That's precisely what JayG is saying. We've got an action with two contradicting results!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 05:36 »
There's a good chance that I'll see Dennis over the weekend.

He doesn't realise that all this is going to be reported to him verbatim, and that he's got the whole community on tenterhooks...

I may be some time...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2011, 07:09 »
Bet you anything Dennis will have an answer for everything  ;)  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2011, 09:32 »
He's got a lot to answer for.

My carrots have not stood back up again!  :tongue2:

xx
loo roll question

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 22:08
by Elaine G
xx
It,s the new rock and roll

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 18:35
by JayG
xx
Loo roll inners?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 11:42
by MegC1991
xx
seed bed roll

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:43
by pumpkinpatch

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 37 queries.