Roll them carrots...

• 41 Replies

Growster...

Re: Roll them carrots...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 05:15 »
Rolling carrots does something else as well, it makes people completely forget to ask Dennis the questions yesterday...

I was talking to the chap for ages while we dug around etc, and it just didn't cross my mind!

I'll ask him next week, if anyone really is that bothered!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 05:53 »
Errrr - how do I put this tactfully?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:09 »
Ha ha ha DD!

I'll definitely ask him now...;0)

Swing Swang

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 07:28 »
Bruising carrot foliage and thinning carrots releases carrot smells which act as a powerful attractant to flies.

My guess would be that rolling carrots would make the rootfly problem worse.

Sure someone's not pulling your leg?

SS

Salmo

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 08:12 »
Swing Swang is right. Surely Growster you can see what Dennis is up to. If he can get you to roll your carrots the flies will all lay their eggs on yours and not his.

This does lead to an idea. Can we plant a decoy row of carrots which we roll to keep the other carrots safe?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50 »
Some of the seed companies suggest sowing a row of sacrificial carrots when you sow their 'resistant' varieties.
If there are tasty-to-them types available they will definitely leave the resistant ones alone :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 20:24 »
I know Dennis well enough to notice his bits of old twaddle Swingwang, (he is a very funny guy actually, and I have a lot of time for him) and the reason why I know it's true, is that I too can also remember hearing some old boys used to tread all over their rows of carrots, when the greenery was about two or three inches high.

What is a coincidence about these last few comments, is that yesterday, we noticed another plot over the far side, had a brand new net installed, nearly head height.

Dennis pointed it out, and in a serious voice, proclaimed that it was all very well him having all that net protection, but it meant that we all had to cope with the pigeons which would then clatter all over our veg... That was worth a laugh...

Dennis doesn't grow carrots, (I think) but I've heard about twenty-five times, that he'd spent £10 on pea seeds, which all went to the thrips! We battle continuously on this as mine definitely weren't thripped (I found that out here), it was pea weevil which did for the first batch!

But Dennis won't have that...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 14:16 by Growster... »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 08:18 »
If Dennis is happy in his universe.... well let him be  :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 11:30 »
Oh, he is Sunshine (any relation to KC...?)

I wouldn't miss the comments down there for the world!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 14:17 by Growster... »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22 »
Oh, he is Sunshine (any relation to KC...?)

I wouldn't miss the comments for the world down there!

I've been outed  :lol: :lol: :lol:

savbo

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 15:35 »
:lol: :lol: Now this idea really does take the cake. I suspect some of the old geezers invented odd things to do at the plot just so that they didn't have to go home and talk to the Mrs.

Well I'm off to varnish my cherries. Keeps the pigeons off.

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 19:32 »
"I suspect some of the old geezers invented odd things to do at the plot just so that they didn't have to go home and talk to the Mrs"

Trillium, one old chap used to store his main crop spuds in his wardrobe, I reckon Mrs Growster might actually come down to disagree with that one too...

gobs

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 20:07 »
My friend Dennis, who plots near me, said today that he'd lost touch with people who roll their carrots.

Now I'd never heard of this pastime, so perhaps it should be asked of everyone; well; do you shove a big roller over your carrots, to get rid of carrot fly?

Great idea though; and Dennis is never wrong...

He does, doesn't he?

I know Dennis well enough to notice his bits of old twaddle Swingwang, (he is a very funny guy actually, and I have a lot of time for him) and the reason why I know it's true, is that I too can also remember hearing some old boys used to tread all over their rows of carrots, when the greenery was about two or three inches high.

What is a coincidence about these last few comments, is that yesterday, we noticed another plot over the far side, had a brand new net installed, nearly head height.

Dennis pointed it out, and in a serious voice, proclaimed that it was all very well him having all that net protection, but it meant that we all had to cope with the pigeons which would then clatter all over our veg... That was worth a laugh...

Dennis doesn't grow carrots, (I think) but I've heard about twenty-five times, that he'd spent £10 on pea seeds, which all went to the thrips! We battle continuously on this as mine definitely weren't thripped (I found that out here), it was pea weevil which did for the first batch!

But Dennis won't have that...

Just the one to take advice from.

A bit of a LOL thread this one, tactfully saying.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 05:40 »
I think you've got the point Gobs!

It's all about doing a lot of listening, sometimes agreeing, but after all that, taking the new experience and making it work for yourself!

All human life is here!

Dennis actually said, when I asked him if he ever watered his spud trenches, (sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't), that 'You've made up your mind anyway' when I told him I was going to - just once, and I was right that time, and his are not that good.

But you must communicate all the time.

Here endeth the lesson...

Springlands

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 08:37 »
I grow my veggies in my own garden so I miss the opportunity to meet characters like Dennis - i've just got this forum instead.  ;) ;)

xx
loo roll question

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 22:08
by Elaine G
xx
Loo roll inners?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 11:42
by MegC1991
xx
It,s the new rock and roll

Started by craggy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 18:35
by JayG
xx
seed bed roll

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:43
by pumpkinpatch

Page created in 3.685 seconds with 38 queries.