• 44 Replies

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 18:52 »
Quote from: "kattcottrell"
I am a pagan

ooh kim, that sounds interesting.

cant say i know anything about paganism, if its something you are happy to share, i'd love you to tell us all about it.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 18:59 »
Well babe its Katt actually not kim :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  but I don' mind, you can call me what you want :wink:

Paganism is simply an earth based religion where we have equal respect for all living things (chickens and husbands included :lol: ) we respect all ways of life and all religions and don't dare to judge anyone, we recognise the good and bad in us all (yin and yan) and live our lives according to the seasons...simple really, nice that you took the time to ask, thanks for that. :)
Katt

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 19:03 »
ooops, so sorry kat. i have the attention span of a gnat  :oops:

sounds like a very nice way to live. it doesnt matter what faith you have...just as long as you have faith.

and i learned something new.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 19:05 »
if only all religions could learn to live and let live then the world would be a far better place me thinks. :)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 19:09 »
if only all religions could learn to live and let live then the world would be a far better place me thinks. :)

your not wrong  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 19:12 »
Quote from: "babe"
Quote from: "nettynoodles1"

sorry dont want to make this personal but tbh i am getting a bit fed up
with folks coming into a chicken lovers forum and posting things  made to make our blood pressure rise! :oops:
i havent been here so very long but it was  so friendly when i joined all good helpfull stuff.

off my soap box now  (sorry folks) :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

im with you netty, its been a nasty couple of days in here and i dont like it either.

hopefully it will pass, please dont let the minority get to you.  :)

Exactly Babe thank you,  the Mod team are looking in to it

As with all forums there are times when things don't go quite right. The important thing is to remember you are with friends, any worries  PM me or one of the other Mod's I'm online a lot even if I'm not on the forum, my email is nearly always open. Or just hit the "contact Moderator" button
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peggyprice

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 22:48 »
Quote from: "woodburner"

A local farmer here can't get enough for his old birds to cover the cost of transport, so IMHO anyone paying the farmer anything for his old hens is actually encouraging battery farming by making it more profitable. anything

...Then add to that the fact that the 'rescued' chickens have run the full term of their imprisonment. It's hardly rescue when they've already done maximum time. :x

My advice to anyone who is against battery farming is to get young birds with their best laying years ahead of them, and give them a good life from day one. After all, the more eggs they supply, the fewer will be bought from industrial suppliers.

I'm sort of with Woodburner on this one ... in fact it's something I've been thinking about a lot myself, particularly seeing a number of posts recently talking about thousands of birds at a time being rescued.

I'm all for giving any living creature the best possible life it can have, and I abhor the whole battery farming regime.  And I am very supportive of the BHWT's aims and the approach of working with rather than against farmers.

BUT - the only really effective way to 'rescue' ALL battery hens is to make it completely uneconomic as a business to keep birds in that way.  And there's something that worries me about 'propping up' the battery system by making it possible for farmers to dispose of large numbers of birds in this way (and presumably there must be economic benefit in having them rescued rather than sending them to the soup factory or whatever, because farmers can't afford to be sentimental.  I don't mean that they make money by selling rescue birds, just that it must cost them less for them to be taken away.  I think  :? ).

Just as an aside (and I hope you all have seen me around here enough to know that I really do just mean this as an observation) I find it interesting that this thread has to date been viewed 377 times and had 35 replies, whilst the post I put up a few days ago referring people to the Chicken Out! campaign and the opportunity to genuinely influence Tesco, the only major supermarket still refusing to go wholly freerange in its own brand products received precisely ...er...zero replies and has only been viewed around 80 times.

There's also something that worries me - though I'm genuinely not sure what, yet -  about the effect of all the rescue hens coming on to the market and its effect on the breeders who have worked hard to maintain their quality standards and the health of their birds ...

And finally there is something else that worries me - that I also haven't worked through yet - about the effect on flocks generally about such large influxes of birds from unhealthy environments.  

I really haven't clarified all these thoughts yet, but my instinct is that despite my natural pleasure at seeing individual birds recovering and living well, there are potential risks to the overall welfare of chickens generally by the mass rescue approach.

BTW Katt, I like your description of paganism - it sounds very appealing and balanced.  If I remember rightly from long ago education, doesn't the word itself mean 'people of the countryside' or some such?  Long before it got corrupted and misunderstood ...
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

peggyprice

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 22:50 »
PS  Sorry Foxy ... I'd been doing so well till I got started on this one  :oops:

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56 »
.[/quote]
BTW Katt, I like your description of paganism - it sounds very appealing and balanced.  If I remember rightly from long ago education, doesn't the word itself mean 'people of the countryside' or some such?  Long before it got corrupted and misunderstood ...[/quote]

Yes thats right 'peasant folk' and yes unfortunately it has got corrupted over the years, so much so that we're often half  afraid to admit to being pagan because of how people percieve you. Keeping chickens and growing your own seasonal veg is a very natural thing to do for us folk (mind you I'm not great at the veg thing yet but I keep trying) :lol:

'And it harm none, do as you will' (the pagan code)

Sorry if this isn't very chickeny, but always enthusiastic when people are interested.

Foxy

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 10:32 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
PS  Sorry Foxy ... I'd been doing so well till I got started on this one  :oops:

dont worry it had been noted! just this time sat with a nice cup of tea and a sandwich.  :lol:

conventgirl

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 15:38 »
I am so pleased that i didnt read this post on Wednesday when i collected mine and nettynoodles ex batts as i think i would have had steam coming out of my ear in a cartoon manner!!

People who say they dont want to be controversial but then continue to be exactly that are only on here for one thing...and that i am sure is not like the rest of us.  I am sooo pleased that these "posters" are being looked into.

I personally felt completely deflated when i read that post but looking out at my new; quite bare girls changed that..they even brought a smile to my face.

I do not see why these poor creatures have to be treated so appalingly just for us.  There is no need for these batts to be in a cage so small that they cannot move around. They have an awful life and for someone to ask why we should bother rescuing ex batts clearly has no compassion.

This is my 2nd lot of ex batts and they are all amazing. To see them scratching around and eating worms for the first time is very humbling.  Since i collected my 4 girls i have already had 7 eggs! To say that they dont make economic sense after a year to 18 months is odd as my previous lot all continued to lay for 3 years every day without fail.

I wanted to give a few chucks that have had a terrible life so far a proper chickens life..of eating worms and grass and feeling the sun and rain on their feathers.  I dont know how long that will be for but i am going to make sure they have some quality of life...surely every creature deserves that?

x

peggyprice

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2008, 23:12 »

Sorry if this isn't very chickeny, but always enthusiastic when people are interested.

I quoted you today when I and my 15 year old son were having a very interesting discussion about faith, religion and belief  :!:

And ...
'And it harm none, do as you will' (the pagan code)

...seems like a very appropriate motto for this forum, in the light of some of the recent posts  :D

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 23:29 »
its not always easy and sometimes darn impossible but wouldn't life be dandy if we could all live by those few little words..

Mind you the cat up the road nearly got a good shoeing up the backside today when I caught it sitting on top the chicken run :lol:

peggyprice

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2008, 23:30 »
Would that be the 'do as you will' bit, then :?:  :lol:

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 00:00 »
And it harm none, do as you will, except the cat up the road with a shoe print on its butt :lol:

clip
rescued hens

Started by samuria on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 05, 2015, 09:00
by samuria
xx
Rescued hens.

Started by becky on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 23:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
RESCUED HENS

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 21:02
by kentishlad
xx
Anyone rescued battery hens?

Started by beki on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 19:11
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 32 queries.