Anyone rescued battery hens?

• 25 Replies

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« on: February 18, 2008, 20:17 »
I've just contacted the battery hen welfare trust to see if i would be able to rehome upto 7 hens. We have one hen left who is extremely lonely  :cry:  as her 7 (yes, 7!!!) friends got taken by foxy loxy when we allowed them to free-range the garden.

Now we've made a fox proof enclosure, we want to get some more hens. I was thinking that this would be the best way to do it - we save some lives, the hen gets some mates, we get a good feeling, and more eggs - smiles all round i say  :wink:

Has anyone ever rehomed battery hens? How did it go? Do you have any before/after pics of them?

I'm really quite excited!  :D  I always said when we moved to the country i'd rehome some battery hens, but i didn't get around to it the first time round  :oops:  Will make up for it this time  :wink:

Have emailed the co-ordinator tonight, and seen that the next rescue date is 'february' in kent... am hoping it's not already passed!  :(

xxxx
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 20:26 »
me and wildone are collecting some ex bats on saturday...... mumsy are you in????

but thats in essex, near tolleshunt d'arcy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 20:35 »
Hi Beki, you may have to wait a little while for your rescue hens as they are getting very popular after the Hugh and Jamie programmes, but it is well worth the wait!  Lots of us either do or have done it, and its very rewarding, it is also very upsetting when you see the little sometimes nearly featherless birds, afraid to come out of the house at first, then standing there not sure what to do with the green grass they are standing on or that blue stuff above them (the sky!!)

But they soon start to do what all 'normal' chooks do, scratch and preen and peck around.

Some of them are so stressed that they don't live very long, which is sad, but at least the time they do have with you makes up for the rest of their sad lives in the cages, but hen you may be lucky and get some that will live for another 2 or 3 years!

There are loads of pics of my ex batts on my photobucket chooks album if you'd like to see them?  They are all the brown ones.  the whites are my POL's!

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/grannieannie_2006/Chooks/

Good luck, and I hope you get some soon!!!!

mumsy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 20:38 »
Hey, Babe, not this time.  Holly isn't being bullied now, things are looking up for her, don't want to introduce any more yet, but I will come & visit yours !!!! Oh & you of course LOL  xxxxxx

beki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 20:43 »
Thanks for sharing the photos! They certainly look happy scratching around in the fresh air  :D

Babe - good luck for saturday! hopefully it'll be me soon  :wink:

xxxx

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 20:44 »
Quote from: "mumsy"
Hey, Babe, not this time.  Holly isn't being bullied now, things are looking up for her, don't want to introduce any more yet, but I will come & visit yours !!!! Oh & you of course LOL  xxxxxx

ah right...like you came to see me last week  :roll:

mumsy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 21:36 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
BTW did you have a nice evening out on Saturday???

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 21:39 »
Quote from: "mumsy"
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
BTW did you have a nice evening out on Saturday???

went to old orleans, it was so so, but after hintlesham hall, no restaurant is going to be good enough :roll:

got an italian night at the village pub this saturday... that'll be.... interesting

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 22:21 »
hello beki! good luck with getting your ex-bats - I am sure somehere they already have your name on :wink:  I know from reading everyones' post it is a truly wonderful feeling seeing their first chicken steps into the big wide world!!! :D

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 15:49 »
Hi Beki, I have had 12 ex-batts over the last couple of years and am waiting for the next collection day next month. They will reward you a hundred times over with lovely eggs and hours of endless amusement! Its better than telly!

Wildeone

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 15:52 »
Oh i can't wait !!!  :D
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

beki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:47 »
I still haven't heard back... i'm checking my mailbox every 5 seconds... i'm itching to get a reply!!!  :lol:

I've a horrible feeling i might have to wait a looong while for a battery chook or 7  :wink:  as you're right, they've become very popular - which can only be a good thing  :wink:

Hope they reply soon! xxxx

Wildeone

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 11:54 »
Becky I love your Blog andwhat you're trying to achieve! Good on you!!!

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:31 »
I have 12 ex batts, when they first come they are quite shell shocked and nervous, they can be quite distressing to look st as they do not have all their feathers. They have to learn about life outdoors. Eggs are layed any where But within a few weeks they get the hang oif it. We have enormouse pleasure from ours, they only have to hear me or see me during the day and they come flying/running down the field for a cuddle and a tit bit. They learn to lay in the proper place. the last ones we got in November are still getting all their feathers although one still has a totally naked front.
They do smell a bit, but this goes within a few days, i think its down to being inside all the time. We have had regular eggs from all of them. We have had some losses, but this is to be expected. There is a waiting list for them wherewe live after all the media activity, we have our names down to take more.  :D  :D
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

garyansell

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 21:09 »
Hi Beki, Our family got six two years ago, we lost two over the first winter, due to them not being used to the cold. the other four are fine and one is still laying even though it is -2 deg C. They were scrawny when we first got them, but within a few months you could not tell that they were x battery hens. Their feathers feel out and looked a real sorry state but they are though ol birds and most pull through ok, but like GrannieAnnie said some just die. All that said your patience and love will be repaid by the most fantastic tasting eggs. Beware of one thing I have found. DO NOT SITE THEM NEAR WHERE YOU WANT TO WORK. I have mine on my allotment and spend more time watching them than working the plot. Good luck, enjoy them and feel good that you have made a difference.
Regards
Gazza.
Gazza the grumpy, stumpy sumpy.

xx
Rescued Battery Hens

Started by JohnVW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 16:36
by beulah59
xx
rescued battery hens

Started by Deano27 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 09:56
by ck2day
xx
New chucks - rescued battery hens.

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 22:11
by Fat Hen
xx
Daft question about rescued battery hens

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 16:05
by muntjac

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 36 queries.