It,s the new rock and roll

• 9 Replies

craggy

It,s the new rock and roll
« on: March 03, 2010, 23:30 »
Did anyone see itv news tonight.Allotments are now up there with big brother.The media men have found a new subject to get wrong."Grow all your own food" they say.All of a sudden we are all now celebrities ::)

lacewing

Re: It,s the new rock and roll
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:12 »
Quick, lock all your gates!
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:38 »
I also heard something on R4 about a Gardening Which report saying allotments may not be cheap food - then explaining people are paying a pound for a carrot plant! I might buy some lettuces or toms from B*Q but would anyone here EVER buy a carrot plant?!!!

M

lacewing

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:51 »
No, I've never seen carrot plants for sale. ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:54 »
Sadly I have.

Why would you buy lettuce and tomato plants, especially lettuce? :tongue2: Can't be many easier things things to grow from seed, with 100's in a cheap packet.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cavolo Nero

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:20 »
The carrot plug plants were offered by one retailer - they didn't sell and were withdrawn! In any case, even if I was offered free supermarket veg I still wouldn't give up my lotty. It's always been rock and roll to me!
"If you want to be happy for a day, get drunk. If you want to be happy for a week, get married. If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, be a gardener." - Chinese proverb

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:33 »
According to an article in the Indy a few days ago, one retailer was selling carrot plugs at £1.49 PER PLANT.

After I had stopped laughing over my coffee, I got quite cross.

savbo

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 18:17 »
Sadly I have.

Why would you buy lettuce and tomato plants, especially lettuce? :tongue2: Can't be many easier things things to grow from seed, with 100's in a cheap packet.

the toms were cos I'd missed the sowing window last year and only got the greenhouse up at start of may (in the end only bought about 4 and was given a dozen super mixed ones from lottie neighbour), and the lettuce cos I'm still not v good at growing them without them going too leggy and rotting off. But this year have a pot of Marvel growing OK on windowsill!

craggy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 18:22 »
Sadly I have.

the toms were cos I'd missed the sowing window last year and only got the greenhouse up at start of may (in the end only bought about 4 and was given a dozen super mixed ones from lottie neighbour), and the lettuce cos I'm still not v good at growing them without them going too leggy and rotting off. But this year have a pot of Marvel growing OK on windowsill!
why not sow them on the plot?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 18:35 »

I can help you with this apparent misunderstanding! (Toms are red, cos are green!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
seed bed roll

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 16:43
by pumpkinpatch
xx
Loo roll inners?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 11:42
by MegC1991
xx
Roll them carrots...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 09:32
by DD.
xx
loo roll question

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 22:08
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 33 queries.