Hello I'm considering getting an allotment - Any Tips?

• 11 Replies

Matt Harper

Hello,
I'm considering getting an allotment, there is a plot just accross the street from me and have been seriously considering it for some time now as a place to grow things (obviously) and a place to just relax - but how much time do they take from you? Also how much do they tend to cost.
Any other tips etc also greatly welcome.
Thank you
Two elephants  walk off a cliff... boom, boom!

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:24 »
For costs look at the 'lottie rent update' thread under the 'Off Topic' heading on the menu. Time-wise; First preparation of what you inherit will take the most effort, unless you get lucky with a recently worked plot. Digging it all over during the winter months, digging in compost etc is quite arduous. Planting is relatively easy, but planning is vital and worth taking time over. Once everything is growing, it all depends on your choice of crops as to how much time it takes. Crops which will suffer if you don't water them regularly demand attention, such as tomatoes and cucumbers; In the dry spell I've been trying to go up every other day just for these two. Weeding is also a regular chore.
My plot is just under 400sq yd and I spend at least 6hrs on it each weekend, with half hour watering visits at least every alternate day just now.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:51 »
Quote from: "mellowmick"
Crops which will suffer if you don't water them regularly demand attention, such as tomatoes

just a note. It might be a bit early to say but I planted tomatoes in a deep bed (a good 2 - 3 ft) and had a lot of leaf mulch around. They were very slow to start growing. Some people on here were seeing their toms ripen while mine didn't have any! Now though they have fruits, I have not watered them as much as I would have liked, even in the recent very hot weather but they aren't split or anything. They look very healthy. Still jolly green mind you. This is meant to be a recommendation for doing the hard work of digging a few deep beds with lots of organic matter dug in to retain lots of water.

I agree with mellowmick generally though, just saying.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Matt Harper

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 12:54 »
Thanks - I can probably spare an hour or so most nights. I have just been to my local allotments and they cost £37.00 a year for a full plot - but they have a waiting list which is run by the council and since i counted at least 6 derelict plots - a little annoying.

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 13:00 »
First of all, if there is a plot available that close to home you should take action as soon as possible. Plots are becoming sought after and waiting lists common.

Rents vary from almost nil to around the £100 mark but something in the region of £30 is normal. None of them are expensive by today's standards.

Given that you want to use the plot for relaxing as well as producing, it could be made a feature of your lifestyle with almost daily visits during the summer months. On arrival, have a quick look over any growing crops, then chill out for a while before doing 30-40 mins clearing or digging. This way plants will remain weed free and you will not get tired or fed up.

You need to set up a nice sitting space with table and chairs.

Consider growing flowers and annoy all the other plotholders. :lol:

milkman

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 14:45 »
Hallo Matt, not sure if I read your message right, but if you have only been chatting to other plot holders and haven't been to the council yet, get yourself along to the council to check the true position and get on the waiting list if there really is one.  

If the plots are numbered make a note of the numbers of the derelict plots, if you have a digi camera take pictures, and take this information with you.  You may be able to persuade the council to write to the derelict plot holders to confirm whether they still have plans to cultivate their plots or if they have given up but haven't bothered to tell the council - one indicator is whether their annual rent is paid up to date.  Also check on the location of other allotment sites - there may be another one quite nearby that isn't full.  If you really are determined to get a plot you may have to employ the 3 P's - be prepared to be Persuasive, Persistent and Pushy!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Matt Harper

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 14:53 »
Thanks people.
I have put my name down on the waiting list with the allotment secretary but i think i will visit the council as bolton council are a bit of a shambles to put it politely. Any idea what council department is likely to look after allotments?

Thanks eristic - That is what i plan to do, as well as going to town on a shed structure - but it all has to be practicle not really interested in flowers and the like but some fruit and mainly veg.

Laura

• http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com
Re: Hello I'm considering getting an allotment - Any Tips?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 00:36 »
Quote from: "Matt Harper"
Hello,
I'm considering getting an allotment, there is a plot just accross the street from me and have been seriously considering it for some time now as a place to grow things (obviously) and a place to just relax - but how much time do they take from you? Also how much do they tend to cost.
Any other tips etc also greatly welcome.
Thank you

they'll take as much time as you want; if you fall for gardening you'll be up there every spare second of the day.

get a small plot, get your significant other on board & reward yourself with a good curry & some good beers adfter every hard day's graft.

the rewards you'll get aren't just on your plate!
optimism is the main ingredient in any recipe for disaster
see allotment pics at:  myspace.com/laurahuntley

Matt Harper

Update on getting an allotment
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 11:42 »
The council have got back to me after i sent photos of all the derelict plots and offered to clear one myself. Apparantly i am not allowed to clear one myself for health and safety reasons??! and that they expect to get round to it some time in february - great! and there is still that massive waiting list.
 So i suppose i'll just have to wait.

Jake

• Rockers
Re: Update on getting an allotment
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 12:27 »
The council have got back to me after i sent photos of all the derelict plots and offered to clear one myself. Apparantly i am not allowed to clear one myself for health and safety reasons??! and that they expect to get round to it some time in february - great! and there is still that massive waiting list.
 So i suppose i'll just have to wait.

You could write a sarcastic letter pointing out that your health and safety is at risk due to lack of fresh air and exercise. You could include an advert for a ground clearance company too. Mention the european court of human rights as well. It probably wont achieve anything but it would make me feel better.

You know whenever I contact the council or MP, they always respond to my wife. :lol: I'm sure they do it on purpose.

Oliver

Re: Update on getting an allotment
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 21:45 »
Quote from: "Jake"
... letter pointing out that your health and safety is at risk due to lack of fresh air and exercise ... :roll:

Yeesh - Health and Safety! what next.

You could point out that everyones health and safety is at risk because all the weeds on the uncleared plots will seed onto the neighbouring plots causing everyone grief and sore backs clearing the resulting weedlings.

Also, it is usual to do a lot of digging and preparation in the autumn spreading muck, green manure etc, so that the winter frosts can help with the business of breaking down the clods (of earth, not councillors). February is the start of the planting time for some things.

The council is at fault for letting things get to this state in the first place! :roll:
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Matt Harper

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 00:52 »
Thanks people,
Brief update:
Just going round the plots now - got to know quite a few, some very elderly who have stated they will be giving their plots up soon. So with a bit of a cash agreement i should be able to let one of them transfer their plot to me (Hopefully any way).

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 37 queries.