Time and labour saving tips for pregnant allotment ladies!

• 12 Replies

Becky-Lou

Hello everyone,

I am currently pregnant and would like to continue enjoying a beautiful and productive allotment, even with a little one in tow, despite the fact that I don't have much help with the weeding (my other half hates gardening with a passion!).  Does anyone have any time saving and labour saving tips that will help me with my (possibly unrealistic) ambition?

Thanks in advance,

Becky

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Time and labour saving tips for pregnant allotment ladies!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 20:19 »
Hi Becky - I grow load of stuff through weed fabric. I use a good quality woven poly proplyene fabric.  I use it for strawberries, onions, broad beans, leeks, garlic, sweetcorn, cabbages and courgettes. I hardly have to weed at all but for a few weeds that share the holes with the veg..

2013-06-09 17.35.00L_rs.jpg
2013-06-09 11.10.39L_rs.jpg
IMG_0859L_rs.jpg
IMG_0875L_rs.jpg
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 20:50 »
weed suppressant or mulch would make minimal weeding.

Mum2mj

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 14:10 »
Hi Becky-Lou congratulations :) I currently have 4yr old & 2yr old & expecting my 3rd in September. Hubby's not really interested in the allotment unfortunately! I'm trying to dig all the weeds out & sort out my permanent beds. As others said membrane may be a good idea for you. I'm setting aside a fenced area for my girls to play in safely, for a table & chairs, toys etc, so when I am there, I can actually get stuff done!  ::)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 16:12 »
Get a sling. I adore all of mine, we started with a victoria sling lady stretchy from ebay. That takes you from birth to 5-6 months. Babies love them and you can weed etc with them asleep in the sling, Harry is now 6 months and we have a ring sling, a mei tai and a woven. The woven being the ultimate plot wear.  :D even Florence two and a half has been on daddies back in the woven.

Little and often on the plot to keep it managable and interesting for you and little one. Ten mins even is better than five hours with tears and tantrums. Visit sometimes just for a look. Invest in a splash suit and let them get wet and muddy. Florence is our third I never let my older two get muddy and would have had heart failiure if they had played in mud or played in the water butt with a can, now I appreciate this is all part of a two and a half year olds plot time.

It is do able and exciting, rewarding and hard work but when you watch that tiny person eat your veg is worth every second of your time and investment.

We are also looking at installing a mud kitchen but to be fair Florence just loves creating her own games and entertainment which is all part of being outside and growing. Make it fun, grow lots and enjoy

Christine

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 19:47 »
Do you have any friends or other family who could lend a hand? It's very tiring when the baby is very new.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 19:55 »
I forgot to add the pics. What a numpty  ::)

Trying to get the boy to look at the camera was the biggest challenge, veg growing is easy compared to children.  ::)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 20:05 »
NO Answer Aunty would slap me  :D
I cook therefore I grow

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 20:11 »
NO Answer Aunty would slap me  :D

After I have if its rude.  ???

Becky-Lou

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 11:37 »
I forgot to add the pics. What a numpty  ::)

Trying to get the boy to look at the camera was the biggest challenge, veg growing is easy compared to children.  ::)

Wow,

I am definitely going to get one of those slings!  They look great!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 12:16 »
I had with my first two off the peg cheap carriers because I didnt know any difference, now these are so much easier, no buckles, no clips, the mushy pea green wrap is nothing more than 5 meters of woven fabric that has no horizontal or vertical stretch only a small amount on the diagonal. Its amazing and Harry and I both love it, if you join a local sling meet you can go and try them. I didnt really rate our local group and probably wont return but the fact i could try them on before buying was brilliant.  :D

Pm me if you need further help. Its also helped me and Harry bond as we had a rough time at his birth and this has saved us both.  ;) i love my little boy now from the bottom of my heart but I can confess to not feeling the same from day one. The sling has been such a help in bonding and the fact i can be on the plot with him makes it all so much more special.  :wub:

Debz

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:10 »
Like others have said before me, little bits when you can.  I've got two smalls - one is 4 and the other 6 months.  Big boy loves to do digging so a set of children's tools and his space is ideal.  The baby goes in a sling or in her pram and I do what I can when I can.  My husband is not gardening inclined either and my family was laughing when my brother in law and I were lifting potatoes last year.  I was eight and half months pregnant and he had had a hip replacement 6 weeks earlier.  You will find a way and if it doesn't get done to the same standard as last year, does it really matter?

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47 »
Weed membrane would be a must in my book. Little & often too. The one thing I would add is  grow less & space out well so that it will be say to hoe in between fully grown plants & easier to get in between when you are bigger.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Pregnant & New Allotment

Started by CornishInDevon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 10:41
by Ema
xx
space saving tips?

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 11:11
by archibtbm
xx
HHH TIPS No W4 Saving Winter Cabbage

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 00:01
by muntjac
xx
Gardeners Daylight Saving Time

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2023, 13:17
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.