Some tips please to stop theives stealing crops from our allotment!!

• 19 Replies

Salmo

Re: Some tips please to stop theives stealing crops from our allotment!!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 10:29 »
Careful with the wording on the signs! The Council bogymen will close the site on H&S grounds.

I did see a sign once that said " Keep out. This field is infested with Taraxacum". It could also work with Hippuris or Stellavia

These people probably cannot read anyway.

The only way is to make sure there is someone around at vunerable times. If you make theiving a hassle they will go elsewhere.

Do you have any idea who the theives are?

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Re: Some tips please to stop thieves stealing crops from our allotment!!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:44 »
We have problems too - get this! I planted blackberry against the 4' fence that bounded a school playing field.  The Council came along and sprayed weed killer on the blackberries to kill the plants and when I complained they said it was a Health and Safety issue because the Vandals/thieves might injure themselves getting over the fence! and look to the council for compensation.  We must all live in a Nanny society.

veggienut

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 13:12 »
Thanks for your imput chaps. It could be someone on the site itself or outsiders.

The majority of lotties have had stuff taken: almost whole crops of potatoes, rows of cabbage, brocolli, fruits you name it!!

I am going to put a sign up on my  Scarecrow. I would welcome any "appropriate suggestions"
Thing is if someone asked me for a cabbage I would  give it to them, no probs. Why do people have to steal?

I think CCTV is probably the best option.
veggienut

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 13:25 »
CCTV is the only way you're going to know for sure who's doing it. And if it does turn out to be an allotment holder, your solution should hopefully then be fairly straightforward. If it's not an allotment holder, then it's not quite so simple. However, if you can give them some kind of evidence your local police would at least be able to go round and speak to whoever it is, and that may well be enough to scare them off.

Alec_Macpherson

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 14:21 »
Set up a machine gun nest manned 24 hrs per day.

Have Dickie Attenbourough command it.
Tra-la-la-li-la.

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 36 queries.