Transplanting Leeks

• 11 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Transplanting Leeks
« on: April 30, 2019, 19:29 »
Hi all,

Way back in February I sowed some leeks seeds.  There doing ok, just wondering if people reckon if they are big enough to sow out yet.

I've read they should be pencil thick before planting out, at the current growth rate it'll Autumn before they get that big...

Thanks.
IMG_0316 (Large).JPG

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Transplanting Leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 20:13 »
I usually plant out mine around middle of May or early June, whatever the thickness. To me it's simply a question of time and a patch being available. Locals here usually plant them as soon as they've lifted their early spuds and space becomes available.
Just to confuse you, I also plant out some more in late July to give me a young spring crop for following year

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 21:19 »
I'd leave them to grow on a bit before transplanting, giving them a few liquid feeds usually helps to bulk them up :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:19 »
You can do as MOS said, or transplant them into bigger containers to give them more room to grow beforehand. That's what I usually do.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 14:37 »
I have sometimes put clumps of leeks from a seed tray into the ground to bulk up a bit for a couple of months
before putting them into their final places. Works quite well and they get a good root system going as well.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 17:53 »
Transplanting them as small as this leaves them very vulnerable to slugs. They need to be the thickness of a medium sized knitting needle or better. Let them grow on in situ for month or more...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 17:55 by juvenal »

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 18:47 »
Liquid feed is a way forward too. They respond to a good drench of anything like comfrey, nettle water etc, and also of course, the normal feeds you buy in a packet. Do it at least once a week, and don't worry about the size when planting out, just grow a few more if you have the space! I always popped them in at biro-refill stage, and let them grow into their holes as they wanted to!

I also think that as a squirt of feed collects in the top, the foliar connection holds it all there for the plant to absorb the stuff before it leaks out (pun not intended)!

Works for me!

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 20:22 »
Leave them a bit, the growth rate isn't a linear relationship with time, they will speed up as more green develops and they photosynthesise.

al78

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 08:24 »
Mine aren't pencil thick when I plant out. Unless you are prepared to sow each seed individually an inch apart at the start of the year they isn't going to be enough room in the seed tray for them to get that big. I just plant out later this month whatever size they have got too, it works for me, slugs are an issue whatever you plant in the soil, applying nematodes before planting out will help.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 14:59 »
All the time I've been growing leeks I've never had a problem with slugs although snails can eat quite a lot of leaves if they can get to them! I still think potting them on into larger pots (say 9 to a 6-8" pot) will bulk them up and also help them to grow over summer. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 17:12 »
Agree with those recommending giving them a liquid feed to help bulk them up - can't really explain it but leek seedlings seem to run out of food more quickly than others even when they have yet to put on much growth.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 17:52 »
Agree with those recommending giving them a liquid feed to help bulk them up - can't really explain it but leek seedlings seem to run out of food more quickly than others even when they have yet to put on much growth.

It also may be that we always sowed a late variety, Jay, so they had a few more weeks to get their act together!

We rarely used them until late autumn, and by March, they were either given away, or used in evidence...

;0)

xx
Transplanting Leeks

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:57
by Paul Plots
xx
leeks - transplanting

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 13:58
by Aidy
xx
Transplanting Leeks

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 19:12
by Oliver
xx
Leeks - transplanting twice

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 19:59
by Growster...

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 42 queries.