leeks - transplanting

• 20 Replies

superluke2

leeks - transplanting
« on: June 22, 2009, 20:06 »
I sowed leek (bandit) direct into seedbed and they are now about 4inches high but seem to be stationary maybe due to the cool weather lately. How big should they be before I move them to their final position.

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
Re: leeks - transplanting
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 20:39 »
Pencil thick if I remember rightly. Mine are going slow but I've planted them already  :)
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 21:20 »
I am waiting for my spuds to come out before my leeks go in so they've got a bit of time to get thicker yet, though some are much thicker than a pencil as they were potted on a lot earlier.

superluke2

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 21:32 »
Do most of you seed leeks in pots then move, rather that direct into a seed bed and move?

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 21:39 »
I started mine off in pots. I'm wondering whether they would be better sown direct because my pot sown plants which are then transplanted seen to be slower than sown direct  :unsure:

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 21:43 »
Mine are all in a seed bed at the moment, probably no more than pencil thickness. I was thinking of trying to leave some in there, to see if they do any better. I will tease the others out for transplanting down the lottie, (as my spuds get used). I did try top and tailing some last year, but didn't see any advantage to doing that. I'm still not sure which is the best way ?  :nowink: :wacko:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 21:49 »
Isn't the general thinking now that you don't top and tail  :unsure:. Not got to that stage yet, although my leeks are about 6 inches tall they are only the thickness of a decent chive at the moment. (Maybe I've confused my crops  :D)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 22:09 »
Isn't the general thinking now that you don't top and tail  :unsure:. Not got to that stage yet, although my leeks are about 6 inches tall they are only the thickness of a decent chive at the moment. (Maybe I've confused my crops  :D)

Yes it is said that there is no benefit in top and tailing. Each have their own opinion I suppose though  ;)

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 23:49 »
If you do not top and the tips touch the ground worms will often pull them into the ground and in doing so lift the leeks from their holes. If your plants have a decent root system then cutting down the roots allows them to go down the dibbed holes easily.

I plant my leek seed mixed with spring onions in a nursery bed, any bit of spare ground. Pull the onions. Transplant the leeks.

Waynestrout

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 00:26 »
Like Faz, i'm waiting for my spuds to come out. Dug up a few first earlies at the weekend and they are ready. Leeks'll probably be replanted by the end of June
....and the leaves turn from red to brown....

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:11 »
My leek seed is sown in huge deep trays so I can keep a close eye on them until they are ready to be transplanted.

So far two rows planted out - I try to get them out no later than June so they have plenty of time to grow on and mature ready for autumn harvest - lasting on through to early spring. A good winter crop  :)

When transplating I take out a narrow trench across the plot (about 3 or 4" deep and no wider), fill this with water to soften the clay soil, leave it 10 minutes before dibbing holes along the trench (dibber goes in easier and the sides of each hole remain in place even it the soil is dry)... then it's a matter of dropping the trimmed leeks in the holes before filling each hole with water to wash in a covering of soil.

Each time I water, from then on, the trench gradually fills in with soil especially by the time I have hoed through a couple of times to keep the weed at bay. The roots are lower in the ground and this helps them cope with dry, hot spells as well as giving a bit more blanching to the stems.

I find this works well and any water (in dry spells) goes directly to the roots rather than spreading across the soil on either side.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 01:13 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 07:30 »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0

And I'm with salmo. My leeks have a very large root system and unless trimmed would not drop all the way down the dibbed hole.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 00:12 »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26363.0

And I'm with salmo. My leeks have a very large root system and unless trimmed would not drop all the way down the dibbed hole.

Couldn't agree more!  ;)

Big fluffed out roots wont go down the hole!!  :tongue2:

Trim them and they drop in bootifully... and, when you water them in, there's not so much root that it sticks up & out to dry in the sun..  :tongue2:

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 09:31 »

Silly question how much do you trim them?? i don't want to trim to much and kill them

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 10:05 »

Big fluffed out roots wont go down the hole!! 
Dead right.
My method is to trim them by about half, then dip them in a bucket of liquid mud. They drop down like bullets.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

xx
Leeks - transplanting twice

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 19:59
by Growster...
xx
Transplanting Leeks

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 19:12
by Oliver
clip
Transplanting Leeks

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2019, 17:52
by Growster...
xx
Transplanting Leeks

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 22:57
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.945 seconds with 37 queries.