Transplanting Leeks

• 26 Replies

dmhain

Transplanting Leeks
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:26 »
Hi

I am starting to think about transplanting my leeks seedlings and have managed to confuse myself  :blink:!

I read everywhere that when they are about 8 inches and pencil thick I need to dib a hole about 6 inches and drop them in.

If I do that then the joints that everyone says should never get dirt in them will be about 4 inches in the hole?  Does that make sense, is that the norm?

Cheers

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Transplanting Leeks
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:31 »
They should be fine as you do not fill the hole in with soil.  Just water after transplanting.
cathan

dmhain

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 08:12 »
Thanks for the swift reply, 

would it be better for me to dib a hole so the joint isnt below ground level or is it better to go so deep the joint is below ground level?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 08:22 »
I don't know if it really makes a difference, I always end up with mud in my leeks anyway (adds a certain texture to leek and potato soup  :lol: )

So long as you make sure that some of the leaf is above ground level, I wouldn't worry.  Of course, the deeper they are, the longer the white bit too (especially if you then surround them with above-ground tubes to elongate the white bit, but I've never tried that so don' t know the practical logistics of doing it)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:24 »
It does not matter if they are a bit deep as long as you do not bury them completely.
After you have dropped the leeks into the dibbed holes and you are watering in water on the edge of the hole , if you aim for the middle you will float the plants back out .
I think leeks are about the easiest thing to transplant so you should not have problems .

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 09:23 »
I know some people say not to, but I find it makes them much easier to drop into the hole if you trim the roots a bit. It doesn't seem to do any harm. I trim the top too, makes them perkier  :)
Rachael

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:01 »
I'm read an article comparing trimming roots and tops when transplanting Leeks with "doing nothing" and I'm pretty sure that it was even-Stevens, so I should go with whatever works best for you.

george007

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:02 »
trim the roots to 1" and trim an inch of the leaves
this helps get over the shock of being transplanted.

some people do  and some people don't
iv'e always done it and got good results in the past

likewise kristen
you read my mind:)

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 10:26 »
If they are not big enough to have the leaves sticking well out of the dibbed hole they are not big enough to transplant. There is no hurry. Why not wait a couple of weeks.

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:09 »
My leeks seem to be on a bit of a 'go slow' at the minute... about 6 inches tall but no where near pencil thickness. Looking healthy though. Got them in a deep crate outside in sheltered position, ready to transplant when ready.

Do you reckon they'll pick up sometime soon...?

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 11:33 »
Regarding the mud in the joints, I split the leek down when preparing for cooking then take off the outside leaves which get mud in the joints and wash it off. When all the leeks are washed then cut them into 1cm lengths.

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:30 »
My leeks seem to be on a bit of a 'go slow' at the minute... about 6 inches tall but no where near pencil thickness. Looking healthy though. Got them in a deep crate outside in sheltered position, ready to transplant when ready.

Do you reckon they'll pick up sometime soon...?

Mine have never been pencil thickness when i plant them out, drinking straw thickness maybe but never much bigger. I never bother to trim root or leaves and they grow just fine. :)

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 13:03 »
thanks 8doubles. I won't worry too much then... certainly need to be a bit thicker though before I transplant!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 14:09 »
If you are growing leeks for winter (not modern thin ones for summer use) then there is no rush to transplant them any time soon. mine don't go in till till end of June/beg July cos they go in the bed that the new potatoes come out of :D
By then they are plenty big enough to transplant without any worries. :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 15:00 »
Mine are still in the greenhouse, although they have spent a good few afternoons outside, they are now back in. Will they grow better in there or should I leave them permanently outdoors until it's time to plant out? I can't remember what I've done in previous years.

xx
Transplanting leeks

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 16:16
by Trillium
clip
Transplanting Leeks

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2019, 17:52
by Growster...
xx
transplanting leeks

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:26
by solway cropper
xx
Leeks - transplanting twice

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 19:59
by Growster...

Page created in 1.394 seconds with 38 queries.