kitchen scraps

• 9 Replies

bramford

kitchen scraps
« on: September 05, 2012, 19:05 »
just got a leaflet from a breeder that says you can mix mash with kitchen scraps , Im sure that DEFRA says that this is not legal can anyone confirm

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: kitchen scraps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 19:07 »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

bramford

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 19:55 »
yes have already read that  :lol: was just wanting others thoughts before I email him about it  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 20:07 »
Well, basically we will all do whatever we feel is right, but that breeder should not be telling people to mix mash with kitchen scraps.

Sounds like he doesn't know DEFRA rules.  So obviously isn't registered with DEFRA.

I would email him back and say he needs to be more genned (sp?) up on the Rules and Regs

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 20:11 »
yes have already read that  :lol:

Then you have your answer, that information came from DEFRA. Breaking safety and hygiene rules and regs is not a laughing matter.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 20:23 »
yes have already read that  :lol: was just wanting others thoughts before I email him about it  ;)

You don't need thoughts me dear.  You've been given the facts  ::)

bramford

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 21:25 »
sorry I wasnt trying to be smart or course offence was just wanting to know what people in the real world think

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 21:27 »
On here we don't condone or encourage people to break the law ...  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 21:56 »
sorry I wasnt trying to be smart or course offence was just wanting to know what people in the real world think

No, of course you weren't and no offence was taken.

I often used to give my chooks greens from the allotment. In fact I grew them especially for my hens.  They do need fresh food to keep them happy and entertained and they are very good for them.

But the fresh food I gave my hens was never "kitchen scraps" - that went on the compost heap.

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 20:24 »
This is the DEFRA bit:

http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/managing-disease/animalbyproducts/collection-feeding-abp/Ban-on-feeding-of-kitchen-scraps-to-pet-poultry-and-other-pet-farmed-animals.asp

This states that "The feeding to farmed animals of catering waste, kitchen scraps, raw, partially cooked and cooked meat products is prohibited under Animal By-Products legislation" and leads you to the relevant legislation ...which is '
Regulation (EC) 1069/2009 and Regulation (EU) 142/2011'. The EU Regulations are enforced through the:
Animal by-Products (Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2011
Animal By-Products (Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2011
Animal By-Products (Enforcement) (Wales) Regulations 2011

but, when you read the Regulations there is no mention of kitchens - only catering waste.

Probably this is why whenever anyone questions DEFRA they are referred back to the Direct Gov site (as in link http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=93845.msg1044455#msg1044455). A circular tour.

Despite my misgivings about the behaviour of DEFRA and other authorities, I don't think that any legislation will ever be able to deal with all situations and we should look to follow the spirit of the law.

What is clear is that growing for the chooks (as done by Aunty) is OK and so is preparing vegetables outside the kitchen. So, if you cut off leaves, etc, or a part of the fruit or vegetable before taking it into the kitchen then there is neither a legal nor logical problem in feeding.

It is worth taking this up with your breeder, but I bet he knows that his suggestion is not breaking the law and that he and many other breeders are well aware of the difference between the publicity and the written legislation. Please let us know how he replies.

xx
other kitchen scraps

Started by Deano27 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 16:40
by Tinkers
xx
Kitchen scraps?111

Started by new chooks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2008, 22:34
by Aunt Sally
question
Kitchen scraps!!

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 22:10
by mummychick
xx
This thing about not feeding kitchen scraps to hens............

Started by Kuikentje on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 11:32
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 28 queries.