Feathers

• 6 Replies

Chippet

Feathers
« on: September 05, 2012, 20:37 »
How many feathers are my hens likely to lose in a day? Many?
I'm concerned that one of my hybrids might be getting bullied as I find feathers daily in the coop and run. Normally they are just little downy feathers, but today I found a larger one.
There are 3 of them in a 24sq foot run, which is smaller than I thought I was buying. They are free range 3 full days of the week when I'm at home, the other four days they are confined for about 8-9hours while my boyfriend is at work, the rest of the day they are in the garden, approx 5 hours (depending on when it gets dark). Is that way too small?
I've not seen any other evidence of bullying, they seem to get on quite happily, but obviously I don't see them cooped up cos I'm at work.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Feathers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 20:49 »
When they are molting it can look like a pillow fight and yes they will also loose the wing and tail feathers.

The area is a little on the small side for 3 but they are not confined to it 24/7.  Does the 24 sq feet include the area used for feeders and drinkers?  If so you may need to hang them up to give more floor area for your hens.

Make sure that they can find a shady spot in the run on the hot sunny days as they do not cope well if they overheat.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Chippet

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 22:36 »
I'm getting organised to hang the feeder, won't be able to hang the drinker I've got. I don't think they'll be moulting cos they're only young pullets? They have shade beneath the house.

Thanks for the advice any more is welcome!! :)

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:21 »
Hens constantly lose feathers, only during a moult it is more obvious.

At one time I had 60 chckens of various ages, and i could have made my own feather duvet!

Depending on how young your pullets are, they may stil be growing their firnal adult feathers (chicks constantly change their feathers until about 14-16 weeks of age.)

The run is a little small.  Ideally you need AT LEAST 9sq feet per bird, free and clear of  feeding and watering stations, a dust bathing area and perching equipment.

Is there ayway you can extend the run for the time they are in there during the day?

With 3 hens in that small space, the ground will quickly become sour, even if they are confined only art of the day.

Chippet

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 22:27 »
I will be getting an extension, but am planning on moving them to a different part of the garden in the next couple of weeks once I get some fencing up. I'm working on the run tomorrow so the feeder is hanging.

I thought I was buying a 26ft run, which was nearly the minimum, unfortunately the website wasn't clear  :mad: am now reply regretting not buying a house and building a run, but I suppose you learn as you go  :wub:

I *think* they are about 22weeks by now. 

I feel like a bad mum now  :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 22:59 »
Don't beat yourself up, the people selling the coops and runs are the ones who imply they are fine for more hens than they are.  Yours have access to your garden as well which is much more than most get.   :)

Chippet

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 20:52 »
Thanks. :)

xx
feathers

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 15:24
by janeheritage
xx
No feathers!

Started by Wash hens! on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 20:11
by TeaPots
xx
Feathers........

Started by calli on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 20:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Feathers in the run

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 21:36
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 37 queries.