Idiots guide to lasagne gardening

• 4 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Idiots guide to lasagne gardening
« on: August 22, 2012, 14:24 »
Hi there, our plots are terrible for weeds, like everyone else's I guess :nowink: We have been looking at lasagne bedding as an alternative so could anyone give me an idiots guide, tips or hints that they have tried and tested that worked or didn't work?

We will convert the current beds to smaller more manageable beds and will use a biodegradable weed killer at the end of the season.

Thank you in advance
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

snowdrops

Re: Idiots guide to lasagne gardening
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 14:28 »
Have a look at ecodollys diary or do a site search for lasagne gardening there's lots on it. I have followed it for my squashes this year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49 »
Thanks, did you have any luck with growing your squashes in it this year?

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:40 »
It's a work in progress,I was very late putting them in & they were sorry plants that were pot bound but yesterday I picked a 2nd harvest of 8/9 small courgettes & I saw some winter squashes had set fruit,so far so good. Plus no weeds, as I covered it with weed suppressant membrane

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 16:59 »
Hi symone,

I have been using lasagne beds both on my original plot (which I still have) and the new plot I took over in June.  

I have found that squashes in particular seem to love the lasagne beds.  I have currently got pumpkins, winter squashes, courgettes, chard, spinach and celery growing in the new plot.  I plan to add cabbages and caulis once I have finished the other beds on this plot as I have had so much success with brassicas on lasagne beds.  

As snowdrops has mentioned, if you have a prolific weed problem, use weed suppressant or layers of newspaper to cover your bed then plant through.  This helps suppress any weeds that may make their way through the layers or that are introduced by the manure you may use.  

The link to my ecodolly diary is in my signature.  I have also found this page referenced and think it is very user friendly.  http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm

There are also lots of videos on Youtube too.

I would recommend it as a method to get started on a new plot, or to anyone who for whatever reason doesn't want to dig extensively, or to anyone who has lost control of their plot and wants to quickly regain control and get planting asap.  I personally top my lasagne layers off with compost and plant immediately, but this time of year you might want to just cover the layers with some plastic and allow it to cook down over winter.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Brassicas - The idiots guide

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 14:55
by Mazzie
xx
Idiots guide to leeks??

Started by skyelass on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 16:16
by skyelass
xx
Starting off seeds (idiots guide??)

Started by Veggy Addict on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 09:48
by andreadon
xx
Idiots Guide TO Raspberries & Blackcurrants?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 17:31
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 28 queries.