Idiots Guide TO Raspberries & Blackcurrants?

• 11 Replies

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
Idiots Guide TO Raspberries & Blackcurrants?
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:04 »
Morning All :)

Right just been to my local "discount" shop and they had some raspberry plants / bushes and blackcurrant bushes reduced to £1! Could not resist so got 3 raspberry and 2 blackcurrant and may go back for a few more tomorrow. Problem is I have no idea what to do with them  :blink:

From reading other threads it seems they will need support as they grow, are they best potted in the ground or will pots do the job? Best food? Anything I need to be doing to them? I am new to growing so please excuse all the questions I just want to make sure I get it right :)

Thanks in advance

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Idiots Guide TO Raspberries & Blackcurrants?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:43 »
Do you know which varieties of raspberries you have PP as there are differences between the growing systems for summer and autumn fruiting ones. 

Blackcurrants grow as a free standing shrub so need to put up supports.

Both will be better in the ground and plant with plenty of homemade compost or well rotted manure as all soft fruit plants are greedy feeders  :)

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:47 »
Hello Thanks for taking the time to reply, the raspberries say  rubus idaeus which from what I can gather from Dr Google is basically raspberry in latin so not too much help there so they are basically unidentified...........

They look like 2 or 3 twigs about 6-8 inches high with a root system in a plastic bag, they look dead as a door nail to me but the lady in the shop was adamant they are fine.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 13:10 »
Hhhhmmmmmmm  Should be shooting leaves out by now PP so you may be right.

I'd stick them in a pot and see if they do grow before going to the trouble of building supports for them  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 13:11 »
Think I'd be heading back to the shop, but not to buy more!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 13:26 »
Give the roots of all of them a good soak (at least a few hours) before planting, but if they are so dry they look a bit shrivelled (or worse still, brittle  :ohmy:) I wouldn't be looking up jam recipes just yet.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

digalotty

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 16:26 »
as jayg says put them in a bucket of water and hope they will recover and give them a couple of hours or even overnight
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 16:41 »
Scratch the bark with your thumbnail. If you see green underneath all is fine. If it is brown take them back.

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 17:19 »
Hello everyone :)

Thanks for all your replies :) Well the one I have brought in the house definately seems as dead as a dodo the bark is very very brown and hard and when scratched it is brown all the way through and dry, had a look at the roots which are wrapped in a plastic bag in some compost and as soon as I opened the bag I got a whiff of mould, roots dry to the bone and grey in colour really not healthy so that is at least 1 that is a gonner the others are in the back garden so I will check on these is a while :(

Oh well learnt something new today :)

Thanks again for the replies I appreciate your time replying

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 23:22 »
Just to say, all my rasps and blackcurrant were  bought in "pound stretcher" of all places,  a few yrs back and have been fantastic croppers. Both unknown variety and looked dead when I opened them up. I soaked them in buckets of water for a few hrs before planting. I dug a fair bit of rotted manure into planting holes and they have been prolific croppers for the past 3 yrs. So you might get lucky yet  :)

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 13:53 »
Just to say, all my rasps and blackcurrant were  bought in "pound stretcher" of all places,  a few yrs back and have been fantastic croppers. Both unknown variety and looked dead when I opened them up. I soaked them in buckets of water for a few hrs before planting. I dug a fair bit of rotted manure into planting holes and they have been prolific croppers for the past 3 yrs. So you might get lucky yet  :)

Yes this is the plan now, I am not going to take them back for the sake of a quid so in a bucket for a few hours then in some good compost and feed see what happens, they either will or won't :)

Funnily enough I have just got back from Pound Stretcher, I did go to B&Q originally for some of the half price decking they had to make some raised beds  but the offer finished yesterday grrrrrrrrrrr so in disgust walked out and went to Pound Stretcher instead, glad I did now got a few good things cheap as chips!

Thanks for the reply :)

fatcat1955

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 17:31 »
Panther, where in Pembrokeshire are you? I have a lot of family down there mainly Tenby and Manorbier.

xx
Idiots guide to leeks??

Started by skyelass on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 16:16
by skyelass
xx
Brassicas - The idiots guide

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 14:55
by Mazzie
xx
Starting off seeds (idiots guide??)

Started by Veggy Addict on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 09:48
by andreadon
xx
Idiots guide to lasagne gardening

Started by symonep on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 16:59
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 38 queries.