Disappointing Garlic

• 21 Replies

Eblana

Disappointing Garlic
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:38 »
I had to dig up my autumn sown garlic last night as it was completely covered in rust.  I am really dissapointed as only the elephant garlic has formed cloves the rest is more like spring onions!  Onions which were grown in the same bed are brilliant so at least I have something to smile about  :D

I have had a huge amount of waterlogging on my plot this summer which may have caused this but I am currently putting in raised beds for next year.  Would I be better planting the the garlic in one of the raised beds in the autumn or over wintering it in modules in the Polytunnel for planting out into the raised bed next spring?

This is the second year for rust - last year it was my leeks that got it (in a different part of the plot).  Does this mean that Rust is in the soil and that I am going to have it all the time? :unsure:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Disappointing Garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 13:11 »
Leave alliums away from that part of your plot for three years after rust.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 16:15 »
Hi Eblana
It may be the garlic you have grown.
I re-use cloves I've grown the year before.
One lot have been growing on the plot for 5 years and the second lot were from cloves grown on the plot for only 1 year.
All planted at the same time and grown in the same bed.
The cloves from the older ones, sprang into live first, got rust first, came out in June but the bulbs were a good size.
The others were slower growing and got rust 2 weeks after the first lot.
I've just taken them out and they are all small.
Will only be replanting the older ones next year.

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 16:33 »
I bought them last year - I ordered them while I was at the Hampton Court Flower show.  I didn't realise you could replant from a previous harvest - I assumed that if I did this that it might spread disease.  Can I replant the ones that haven't formed cloves?  Do I dry them and store them or do I pot them up immediately?

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 16:46 »
I just keep the biggest bulbs to plant in the Autumn.

Not sure if rust is carried over, but don't think so because it doesn't seem to effect the bulbs only the leaf.

I think its only potatoes you shouldn't use from those you've grown because of possible spread of disease.

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 17:07 »
I had to take mine up aswell due to rust. Must be all the rain I reckon. Mine were fully formed bulbs but nothing like the size of last years.

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 18:49 »
As long as the garlic has become a decent size leave them alone if they have rust until they are a good harvesting size. Rust will not harm the bulb only the leaves. I grew mine on a layer of sharp sand this year and despite being covered in rust in early july , they were the best i have ever grown.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 20:59 »
Trouble is that the rust from the spring garlic was beginning to affect nearby leeks, so out it has come

The autumn sown garlic had very little rust, and a terrific crop for the last two years, so I guess I shall just stick with that now
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

SG6

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 23:12 »
Had slight amount of rust, but even taht reduced after 2 spraying. However the bulb size was useless.

Of the several years I have tried I can say that the best result I had was from a garlic I bought from the supermarket and tried the first time.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 00:15 »
My autumn sown got hit by rust big time I lifted about 3 weeks ago the bulbs are small but they have formed cloves and the taste is V V strong so not to bothered.

The nearby spring sown garlic (right next to them) are fine along with the spring sown onions no rust at all.

I don't think you should follow on onions and garlic with leeks for those that do just my opinion.
Faff free zone!

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 16:11 »
 I did check about rust on the Garlic Farm website and will try their advice next year. :)
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

fatcat1955

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 19:27 »
According to Medwyn (him of the giant onion's etc) at the first sign of rust smear some petroleum jelly on it. It seal's the rust spores in so they cannot infect nearby plant's.

allotmentann

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 19:54 »
That's a tip to remember :) Sounds logical. (Bet EU regulations don't allow it!) ;)

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 00:15 »
there are spray treatments for rust which will clear it up in a couple of weeks but rust spores are mostly transfered airborn so look around your area see where its coming from but its not the end of the world it can be controlled quite easy.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 06:40 »
i brought 4 bulbs on line earlier this year having read on the garden suppliers website that it is pointless using supermarket stock because they are all grown in sunnier climes and would hate my weather here in the north west well they all came up about 1 ft high @ by the time i got out in garden a couple of days ago dug up 4 of them and they are smaller than my spring onions and have not divided into cloves,can anyone tell me if either --can i still cook with these marbels or can i plant them on next year or should i just bin them and try asda next year  :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

xx
Disappointing garlic

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 10:54
by mumofstig
xx
Disappointing onions and garlic

Started by terrijane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 15:20
by terrijane
xx
Disappointing garlic harvest

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 16:00
by janeheritage
xx
Disappointing potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 02, 2012, 18:48
by AnneB

Page created in 0.768 seconds with 36 queries.