Bean disappointing

• 4 Replies

mumsflowerpot

Bean disappointing
« on: September 03, 2007, 12:32 »
Have this morning taken out the remaining broad bean plants as they have discoloured and started to rapidly die back.

Most of the remaining pods are empty or small - just wondering where did I go wrong as it was my first year growing these.

Can anyone help?  My one guess is that I used a fairly shady part of the garden, but wouldn't have thought that this would have been a problem.

Also, they were grown in raised beds which seem to give us very poor yields on anything, but that's another topic all together!

:roll:

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
Bean disappointing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 13:11 »
My French beans were disappointing MFP - it was my first go and I did them in a gro-bag turned sideways.

I grew three plants and got a couple of handfuls off of each, but then they died very quickly - I think they got help from snails.

Next year, I'm avoiding gro-bags, as the tomatoes I tried in gro-bags were just as poor.
Veg? That's chips, innit?

muntjac

Bean disappointing
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 13:29 »
read my growing tips for runner beans .top of " grow your own " for excellent results next year .. :wink:
this is the same for all bean types  :wink:
still alive /............

mkhenry

Re: Bean disappointing
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 20:11 »
Quote from: "mumsflowerpot"
Have this morning taken out the remaining broad bean plants as they have discoloured and started to rapidly die back.

Most of the remaining pods are empty or small - just wondering where did I go wrong as it was my first year growing these.

Can anyone help?  My one guess is that I used a fairly shady part of the garden, but wouldn't have thought that this would have been a problem.

Also, they were grown in raised beds which seem to give us very poor yields on anything, but that's another topic all together!

:roll:

Raised beds need more water that flat ones,because the water drains away much more quickly. The higher the bed the quicker the loss.Also they tend to need careful management with regard to nutrients etc,for the same reasons.
Dont be put off they are an excellent way of growing crops. :D
Follow Muntys tips and you will soon be very happy with your results. :wink:

My tip for a good crop is.............A big heap of Munty, mix in a pile of W_G ,Add some Richy Rich and a little Aidy for excitement.Take a shovel or two of Aunty for colour,some Ice hocky mad and a big bag of Digger Dave for security and a handful of the rest of us and you cannot fail. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Bean disappointing
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 11:19 »
my cobra have been .....well dodo to say the least this year, I am putting it down to the weather as they normally have the frezzer at bursting point. The bollotis are doing well and i am looking forward to cropping them, the broad beans havent been that bad.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Disappointing broad bean ...

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2007, 14:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
Very disappointing French bean taste

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 15:27
by mumofstig
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
Disappointing Garlic

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 09:48
by jay001

Page created in 0.712 seconds with 36 queries.