Saving cucumber seed

• 9 Replies

Kirpi

Saving cucumber seed
« on: September 10, 2012, 01:47 »
I want to save some seeds from my cucumber vine this year.

The method I have read about - but not tried - is to let one cucumber ripen on the vine until the vine dies then scoop out the seed and put into a jar of water. The seeds after three weeks that sink tot he bottom are the viable ones and you discard the scum off the top. Dry the seed thoroughly.

Any other methods welcome. I guess this is the same for squashes? How about tomatoes?

Any way to save money on seeds these days is a bonus.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Saving cucumber seed
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:32 »
I've just saved seeds from a heritage bush cuke and used the directions from the base of this page

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/cucumbers.html

Sounds similar to your method but the seeds are soaked for much less time and you just need a really over ripe cuke, not to wait for the plant to die  :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 06:47 »
Thanks for this News, we're getting ready to save some, and wondered about the best way!

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:19 »
I think soaking for weeks might cause problems with the seed? As far as I am aware the soaking is mainly to make it easier to remove any scraps of flesh that might otherwise go mouldy on the seed.  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:25 »
I have to ask the question.

Is the cucumber an F1?

For tomatoes I simply spread the seed out on a bit of kitchen towel and let them dry. Come sowing time they get stuck in with a bit of towel, does them no harm.

Squash seed are simply scooped out and dried on kitchen towel in similar manner, but it's easier to spread them out & detach from the towel when dry.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:23 »
No DD - the cucumber in question is 'Wautoma', described on the packet as 'not a hybrid so seed can be saved'.

Thanks for replies.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 06:00 »
I have to ask the question.

Is the cucumber an F1?

For tomatoes I simply spread the seed out on a bit of kitchen towel and let them dry. Come sowing time they get stuck in with a bit of towel, does them no harm.

Squash seed are simply scooped out and dried on kitchen towel in similar manner, but it's easier to spread them out & detach from the towel when dry.

This is easy to use, as you can cut each seed out with a bit of paper attached, with scissors, and for shaking hands, seven thumbs etc, very helpful...;0)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:14 »
For tomatoes I simply spread the seed out on a bit of kitchen towel and let them dry. Come sowing time they get stuck in with a bit of towel,does them no harm
thats what i did this year dd from a asda tom only got i plant left cos of the vandals and not being here but its up about 5ft in container and has green toms on it and loads of flower heads,i just put the whole kitchen roll in a seed tray of compost and the lot came up,when you talk about a f1 cucumber seed am i right in thinking that for some reason you cannot use them ?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:57 by DD. »
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 07:54 »
You can grow from F1 seeds, but....you don't know what you will end up with, not the same cucumber you planted. You will get some traits of both the parent plants that created the F1. Might be good, might be bad :)

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:01 »
You can grow from F1 seeds, but....you don't know what you will end up with, not the same cucumber you planted. You will get some traits of both the parent plants that created the F1. Might be good, might be bad :)
ooh ok i knew that i had something in this space between my ears where f1 was concerned thanks for that.   :wub:

xx
Saving Cucumber Seeds

Started by Bricktop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 07, 2021, 20:05
by Bricktop
xx
Saving seed

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 17:57
by Headgardener22
xx
Saving Seed

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 12:15
by DD.
xx
seed saving

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 11:52
by Bohobumble

Page created in 0.729 seconds with 37 queries.