tomato question?

• 8 Replies

borderowl

tomato question?
« on: June 26, 2012, 21:07 »
Hi folks!, two of my tigerrella plant stems seem to have separated into two leaf stems with no main stem growing up. Is there something wrong or will a main stem form again?
Thanks Kev

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: tomato question?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 21:13 »
You probably now have two main stems - it happens from time to time despite pinching out all the side-shoots of cordon tomatoes, especially in less than ideal growing conditions.

Keep pinching out further side-shoots, provide necessary support, and regard it as a bonus (if the weather improves!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 23:13 »
I found last year that Tigerella thinks it's a bush and the same is happening this year.
I pinched out the side shoots on 2 and let 2 "do their thang" and the yield was similar but the unpinched plants were very sprawly and needed a couple of extra stakes.
Lovely tomatoes!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 23:48 »
I wouldn't worry, it happens, well it does with mine  :D  You'll still get toms. I like Tigerellas for grilling for my breakfast as they keep their shape

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:02 »
Lucky you with two pops at the main stem - Tigerella is a very tasty tom indeed!

Assume its greenhoused, so you could even get up to six or seven trusses at a pinch...

Beano

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02 »
Thanks for that. I had mixed up  tigerella and yellow plants. Now I know which one is the tigerella. The one that has divided into two.
El.

borderowl

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 21:00 »
Thanks for the help, but I'm still a bit confused! Only one truss has set before this happened, so I'm wondering where another truss will grow from? all my other plants have formed three trusses and look great!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 22:12 »
If it has split into 2 as we think it has - Then each of the 2 stems will start to make trusses , so you will have, in effect, 2 cordon toms, sharing a root - if that makes sense  ;)

like this one that split into 2 near the bottom

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:27 »
One of my Alicantes has kind of forked right at the top. Neither one of them stands out as a lead shoot, it's just forked into two equal shoots. I'm dithering whether to leave them both there or not, but frankly I'm hesitant to take off anything this year cos everything's struggling so much to grow :)

xx
a frosty question and a tomato question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:29
by JayG
xx
Tomato question

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 22:12
by Middlesexbloke
xx
Tomato question

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 21:10
by Elaine G
question
Tomato question???

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 15:37
by Kristen

Page created in 0.688 seconds with 38 queries.