Documentary on allotments in London

• 8 Replies

sbearman

Documentary on allotments in London
« on: June 18, 2012, 19:20 »
Dear all,

I am a university student from the United States coming to London from June 23-July 23 to film a short documentary on allotments in London. I have received a grant from my alma mater to film in the UK on this topic. I am interested in the history of allotments, in the dedication given to these plots of land, and in the problems currently associated with allotments (long waiting lists, varying prices depending on district, etc.) Instead of a large-scale project, I am interested in discovering one site that will allow me to focus, trusting that the overarching issues I named above will emerge and likely transform through the process of filming.

As such, I am looking to choose one allotment site to film at and will likely focus on just one plot or the relationship between two allotment plots that are side by side. I would also be interested in filming two allotments in completely different areas of the city, where the connection between the two is that they are owned by different generations of the same family.

If you have a story that you would like to tell or think you would be interested in having me spend time at your allotment plot this summer, please let me know within the forum or respond personally at <sbearman@college.harvard.edu>. I will be spending the first week after my arrival visiting different locations and would appreciate any suggestions sent my way about allotment plots, big or small, that would be interesting for me to visit given my filming desires. If you are not interested, but can think of someone who may be, please let me know as well. Feel free to email generally with comments or questions.

Best,
Sophie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Documentary on allotments in London
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 20:34 »
This request for research help has been authorised by Admin.

hamstergbert

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 19:26 »
Hi Sophie - you may like to consider including a suitable short reference to the Manor Garden (Hackney Wick) allotments seized in 1997 to tarmac over for Lord Seb Coe's vanity project his summer, with all the plot holders evicted.  (Some of them now operate on temporary plots  in Waltham Forest).

The promise at the time was that after the olympic nonsense was over, new, bigger and better Manor Garden replacement allotments would be provided nearby, and of course they wouldn't lie about that so exciting times ahead.  Wonder if those who were evicted from the Manor Garden plots will get any sort of priority in allocation.  Would seem not unreasonable but cynics might think "probably not".

A good case study for you to illustrate the emotional attachment people have to their plots,  and the resentment towards those who arbitrarily remove them.   Upset a lot of people.

this (from 1997 when it all kicked off) may be a suitable start point.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

sbearman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 22:14 »
Hamstergbert, thanks for your comment! What a scandal, indeed! I'll be sure to look into that. I too was thinking of avoiding the nonsense of the Olympics for as long as possible...but maybe it's inevitable...especially when the Olympics start having things to do with allotments!
Cheers,
Sophie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 22:53 »
Although interesting, that will make it a very political film, which appears very different from what you originally proposed and for what you received your grant, Sophie.

Sorry I can't think of any more constructive though, and I wish you every success  :D

PS There's a very successful, multi-cultural allotment site in Birmingham, West Midlands.  Others may be able to remember its name.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 22:54 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27 »

PS There's a very successful, multi-cultural allotment site in Birmingham, West Midlands.  Others may be able to remember its name.

This might be the one:

http://growit.btck.co.uk/

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 17:55 »

This might be the one:

http://growit.btck.co.uk/

Just been looking at the fab pictures..crikey,I wonder what they put on their veg!

sbearman

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 03:42 »
Yorkie, thanks so much for the good wishes!

surbie100, Addison Gardens looks amazing-- and you're all so organized! I have found an allotment in North London and am now sifting through possibilities for something in and around Lambeth, as I'll be staying Tooting for a few weeks. I do appreciate your offer though and might drop by for a visit if that's okay.

I'll be posting photos and updates here http://www.facebook.com/UKallotmentproject if anyone is interested--and I'll drop by the forum to see how all of your gardens are growing throughout the summer. I am flying into the UK tomorrow, so wish me luck! Thanks so much for the advice and responses.

hamstergbert

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 13:14 »
.... I'll be staying Tooting for a few weeks.....

Don't forget, Sophie, if anyone asks you if you like Tooting you should always tell them that you have never Tooted before...

(sorry.  I'l get my coat).

xx
Allotments in London

Started by ted_woodley on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2006, 15:10
by muntjac
xx
Allotment Available in NW London

Started by fabri on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 09:06
by fabri
recycled
Any London allotmenteers on here?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 16, 2023, 23:34
by OakR
xx
Hi from Nigel - - - West London

Started by Nigelp45 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 14:59
by Springlands

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 37 queries.