What is the Minimum no. of sweetcorn you can plant out?

• 20 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
I've got 7 sweetcorn plants that I've managed to grow (only ones that survived). 3 from my first sowing in April and 4 from 2nd sowing a couple of weeks later that are obviously a bit smaller than the first batch.

At the moment I've got them in pots on my windowsill.

Do you think there's enough of them to plant in a block for successful pollination?

simonwatson

Re: What is the Minimum no. of sweetcorn you can plant out?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49 »
You can always help the pollination along by plucking some of the male flowers and hand pollinating the tassels. I managed to grow just three in a pot one year and they were fine done this way.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:52 »
It can't be a good year for sweetcorn.  I also only have 7 swift sweetcorn germinated, although had more luck with another variety (can't remember what they were called) and the mini pop variety.  I will put them out and give them all a good shake when I walk past them to help the germination!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:59 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 13:10 »
I would have said 9, but with the 7, I would plant three, then 2, then 3 again so you still have a block, but with the odd 2 in the middle.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 13:30 »
I would have said 9, but with the 7, I would plant three, then 2, then 3 again so you still have a block, but with the odd 2 in the middle.

And just where does the extra one come from?  The phrase that comes back to me from school is "And carry one"  I presume carry one home from the garden centre !

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 21:14 »

And just where does the extra one come from?  The phrase that comes back to me from school is "And carry one"  I presume carry one home from the garden centre !

Cheers,    Tony.

:lol: :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 21:19 »
hahahahaha i have done ok with mine this year, we got blocks of 18 and a block of 20 and more to go in. We will manage to some past the children and Grandad on the plot this year to home. Last year Callum and Grandad was cooking them in the shed hahahaha. (His Grandad my Dad)
Thanks
Kris

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 21:39 »

Cheers,    Tony.

Oooops,  :blush: :blush: can only say the sun today must have addled my brain!  Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!   :lol: :lol:

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 22:05 »
It can't be a good year for sweetcorn.  I also only have 7 swift sweetcorn germinated, although had more luck with another variety (can't remember what they were called) and the mini pop variety.  I will put them out and give them all a good shake when I walk past them to help the germination!

I had only 20 out of 25 germinate despite it being this years seed.
I used the tissue paper method I saw on this site (sorry, I cant get my head around the term chitting that I have seen used here when it's not Potatoes!)

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 22:08 »

I had only 20 out of 25 germinate despite it being this years seed.
I used the tissue paper method I saw on this site (sorry, I cant get my head around the term chitting that I have seen used here when it's not Potatoes!)

Believe it or not, I have had only 7 plants out of two packets of average 34 seeds appear and this was freshly bought seed!  First packet planted directly in heated propagator 0% success, second packet chitted in advance 24 planted - only 7 grew!  

I was gutted, so much so that I complained to Suttons seeds and they sent me two new packets.  I have started one of these packets off today - I thought what the hell!  I have never had such problems before.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 22:39 »
My sweetcorn seed was this year's too and I've only got 17 I think it is from around 35 in the packet.

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 14:08 »
Thanks everyone. Good advice, as always.

So should I plant in a block of 3, 1 in middle, 3 with just the 7 plants?

bigben

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 14:40 »
I got almost every one to germinate and planted them out in loo roll tubes. The problem came when I then tried to plant these on my allotment. Something - a fox? keeps digging the tubes out and leaving them to dry out. I am going to have to take them out of the tube before I bury them on the plot next year.

Casey76

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 14:49 »
Could you do 2-3-2 instead?  You'll end up with a hexagon rather than a square, but I don't think that will matter too much ;)

xx
Sweetcorn - where to plant?

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 14:05
by allotment south wales
xx
One cob per sweetcorn plant.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2018, 17:25
by robinahood
xx
when to plant out sweetcorn

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 17:46
by seaside
xx
at what stage to plant sweetcorn

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 14:17
by hardcj

Page created in 0.632 seconds with 30 queries.