at what stage to plant sweetcorn

• 10 Replies

Azazello

• Experienced Member
at what stage to plant sweetcorn
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:17 »
I've had my sweetcorn germinate and it's growing nicely.

The bigger plants are now about 6 ins tall.

I'm wondering what comes next - should I harden it off over a week or so and just plant it out or does it need to sit indoors a while yet?

Thanks in advance

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: at what stage to plant sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:29 »
I'd harden them off for a week or so, then plant them out.
If you are getting the cool winds, top and tail a lemonade bottle to give them some early protection

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32 »
Always tricky getting the timing right because you don't want them outgrowing their pots or subjecting them to low overnight temperatures either during hardening off or after planting out (the tricky bit is of course knowing what the weather and temperatures are going to be like in the next few weeks!)

If you can maintain temperatures at a minimum of around 10C I would suggest you start hardening them off now, and then hope that things look a bit more sweetcorn-friendly in a week's time (at least they shouldn't be so big that you can't hold them back a bit longer if necessary.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:57 »
Thanks for the replies.

I think they'll be OK for a little while - while the bigger plants are 6ins or so, the smaller ones are only a couple of inches.

Maybe I'll repot the bigger ones and do it in stages.

Night time temps seem set to be a little low (down to about 6) so maybe I'll keep them in for a little while just yet, though my allotment neighbour's are out.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 12:11 »
I planted mine out about two weeks ago but they have gone into a sulk and not grown at all. I wish I had repotted them and kept them in the greenhouse a bit longer.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:13 »
The cold wind we have at present will stop them prowing and possibly fill them :(

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:14 »
They grow very quickly, so its easy to go from "not very big" to "too big" ...

I think putting them out during the day to harden them off is best, as that will also slow them down.

I work on the basis that they only take 3 weeks from germination to planting out, so I start hardening off two weeks after germination.

I wonder how much credence there is in Sweetcorn not liking root disturbance?  I grow them in tall newspaper pots so i can plant them whole, but I see them for sale in modules, and plenty of people here use pots.  Joy Larkcom says that it does not transplant well once the plants are large - so maybe that is the actual issue, rather than root disturbance?, in which case it might work against potting on ?  But I've not tried it ...

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:46 »
Thanks - good to know all this. I've put them out now and so hopeful that will keep them at bay for a week or two.

My allotment neighbour planted about 20 or so but they've gone pale yellow. I hope she won't have to start again.

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 16:48 »
I have in the past bought plants and planted on without too much trouble from plants.
This year I have started from seeds and am waiting eagerly to plant out on lottie hopefully this wk-end.
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

LilacSandy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 19:12 »
I potted mine on last year and they were fine (before the Muntjac ate them  :tongue2:), however I made sure that they were potted on well before I would normally so that the roots were not disturbed at all.

hardcj

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 14:17 »
My first lot of sweetcorn went out at the beginning of march! It was a bit of experiment as my plot is on a sheltered suntrap hill. But the experiment has paid off so far, they got hardened off for weeks before I put them out and they are really putting on growth!

Here's a picture below, not the best as its off my phone but the first lot are about a foot high.

You can see my second lot outside the first lot. I have my final sweetcorn just coming through now in seed modules at home which will go out in a few weeks.

The younger plants seem to be quite hardy (altho I have lost 1 or 2) with regards to root disturbance and cold if hardened off properly. But time will tell later on in the year if the others catch up?

xx
One cob per sweetcorn plant.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2018, 17:25
by robinahood
xx
Sweetcorn - where to plant?

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 14:05
by allotment south wales
xx
when to plant out sweetcorn

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 17:46
by seaside
xx
What is the Minimum no. of sweetcorn you can plant out?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 12:49
by lucywil

Page created in 1.221 seconds with 38 queries.