Scared new girl

• 2 Replies

Carshay

Scared new girl
« on: May 25, 2012, 19:10 »
Last Tuesday I got three new girls to join my gang of nine (definitely the last new ones - chickens are too addictive!) The largest one,a skyline is fine and the other skyline who is a bit smaller seems to be coping with the bullying more or less, however the Babcock is the smallest and as soon as she's on the ground she is getting badly bullied to the extent now that she won't come off the coop roof. I have started feeding her by hand up there as I am worried she won't get any food and especially water. She certainly tucks in but I am worried I am encouraging her to stay there. My thought was to carry on until she either gets braver or big enough to cope. They are all about 17 wks old. Any advice ais very welcome thanks

Chrysalis

Re: Scared new girl
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 19:36 »
Can you separate her for a bit, or even separate the main bully?  After a few days you could try putting her in at night.... the others may forget she was not there!

Others will have more advice, I'm sure. 
It does get better. ;)  We had ours apart for about four weeks, but all fine now. Some folks try putting them in together and just hope for the best...
They WILL settle down, so be patient. :)

Mrs Bee

Re: Scared new girl
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 18:53 »
We are having the same sort ofthing at the moment. We introduced 3 new ones. They are all getting picked on and were hiding on top of the cube. :ohmy:

We put food and water up there for a few days to see if it would calm down.

It didn't, so we have fenced off part of the run so the new girls can play together while the others get used to them.

Just before bed time we lock the new girls in the space under the cube and the old girls are on lock out.

We wait until it is nearly dark before letting the old girls in and there is less pecking.

We did something like this the last time and it finally settled down.

I know it will all settle down eventually but it is upsetting to watch. :(

xx
I'm a bit scared of my hens!

Started by Kaye on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 22:18
by Kaye
xx
No longer scared of my girls!

Started by Kaye on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 06:55
by sneezer
xx
scared hen lays soft egg????

Started by kellym on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 19:06
by Helenaj
xx
Why are my hens too scared to roost?

Started by tatiana916 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 11:36
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 36 queries.