scared hen lays soft egg????

• 1 Replies

kellym

scared hen lays soft egg????
« on: April 25, 2011, 18:21 »
hello my boyfriend was out cutting the grass this afternoon, both hens huddled in the corner away from the noise. when he went to check they were ok he noticed a soft fully sized egg in thier run. we have cut the grass before and they didnt seem to worry although last time we cut around thier run they were not in it where as today they were. is this anything to worry about as the boyfriend is feeling really guilty that hes scared them  :(

Helenaj

Re: scared hen lays soft egg????
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 19:06 »
Chickens will get used to all sorts of noise, it's just initially it will scare them. You may get a few soft or odd shaped eggs as stress can cause that, but your best bet is to get the mower out and put it on in the background for a few minutes, away from them so they can hear and see it but not feel threatened by it. Do this a few times a day for a couple of days, gradually moving it closer and you'll soon find that it won't bother them. My compound is next door to a chap who uses disc cutters and grinding tools in his workshop and after the initial fright, they no longer take any notice of it.

xx
Scared new girl

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 18:53
by Mrs Bee
xx
I'm a bit scared of my hens!

Started by Kaye on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 22:18
by Kaye
xx
Why are my hens too scared to roost?

Started by tatiana916 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 11:36
by ANHBUC
xx
No longer scared of my girls!

Started by Kaye on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 06:55
by sneezer

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.