I'm a bit scared of my hens!

• 11 Replies

Kaye

I'm a bit scared of my hens!
« on: April 12, 2011, 13:58 »
We finally have our 4 ex bat hens but I'm a bit scared after being pecked!
Will they eventually learn to love me and eachother?

Kaye
Ex battery hens were the perfect choice!

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: I'm a bit scared of my hens!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 14:05 »
:)  Yes they will, it takes them a while. They're not used to any human contact, so they have to get used to you...get used to EVERYTHING. Mine pecked me loads when I first had them...they still go for the moles on my foot if I'm wearing flip flops lol. Just be calm and gentle, sit with them for a while each day, offer them a few meal worms or a bit of sweetcorn, they'll soon figure out the connection between you and food and love you loads :)  They will squabble between themselves for a while, they're just figuring out the pecking order. Even though it can look quite nasty, it's perfectly normal. Just watch out for excessive bullying, feather pecking or injuries.
They will become friendly, ex-batts are bred to be docile and friendly chickens, so in time, you'll have a lovely little flock of chickens that will follow you around like shadows.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Kaye

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 14:17 »
Thank you Carla, that is a relief!
The smallest one, Eggu, is almost bald and puts her head down when anyone goes near her, she is getting bullied but I have ordered 2 types of spray to help her!
I might invest in protective clothing for a while!  :lol:

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 15:01 »
If the bullying gets too bad, take the bully hen and put her somewhere where she can see the rest, but not get to them. Leave her there for a day and it should put her to the bottom of the pecking order. If she's naughty again the next day, do it again, she'll learn eventually. Thats only if the bullying gets bad though, they do need to sort themselves out.
Open toed shoes are a bad idea too...they think the wriggly things poking out are edible lol :)
And fair play for adopting ex-batts, such a rewarding and worthy thing to do. Addictive though..I'm getting the urge to get some more :)

Beakybird

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 16:35 »
Mine are ex-batts and I can't say I've had a problem with them pecking me, except for one which pecks my knee everytime I take treats down for them cos she gets so excited and enthusiastic!

I think you've got to remember how little they've had in their lives, so they may be a bit overwhelmed and frightened. I suppose, if you think about it, they only have that little beak to protect themselves with (and for all they know at the moment, you may be a baddie! ;)). The other thing is that they use their beak to test things out, a bit like how a baby puts everything in its mouth. So there are different types of peck (and different levels of pain depending on where you get pecked!!).

As Carla has said, once they associate you with being the bringer of yummy treats, they'll soon love you (well, cupboard love at least  :lol:).

One of my girls now loves to have a ride on my back as I walk round the field - she likes to wipe her beak on my head and sometimes climbs onto the top of my head - at almost 2kg she's a heavy lass :lol:

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 17:55 »
As the others have said they'll soon love you and will look forward to you coming out with yummy treats  :)

Nice thing you have done having ex battery hens, Im afraid I 'chickened' out of having them as my first hens, but hope to maybe in the future  :)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 18:01 »
Loving each other (well, sorting out a pecking order) may take a while, but loving you for the food & treats should happen fairly quickly!!  I'd try just scattering food around your feet to start with, and moving your feet very gently - maybe sitting with them as often as you can so you become a regular part of their lives.

As they get more used to you and each other (and start to realise there's alawys enough food for everyone) they should start to behave more gently. 

Meanwhile.... trousers & wellies & long thick sleeves so you don't feel the pecks so much and try to handle them as little as possible until they are more settled and gentler.
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 22:11 »
One of my girls (not an ex-bat) pecks the back of my hand if I don't give her enough treats!  :mad:  I'm trying to break her of the habit, without success so far.  Maybe I'll just give up soon and choose to believe it's a sign of affection.  ::)

Also after eating mash they use my trouser leg to wipe their dirty faces if I don't step aside fast enough.  Another sign of affection.   ;)

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:39 »
Hi Kaye, well done for taking on your ex batts, spend some time with them when feeding, talking softly ( yes i'm sure we all talk to our girls !!) especially when giving a treat ( i use sweetcorn ) and they'll soon come to associate you these and should cease to peck so. I keep mine on our allotment and my neighbours ther say that the hens even recognise our car !! good luck

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:43 »
Sounds like they are trying to show who the top chucks are. The best way to sort this is to stand your ground and show them that your the boss.  :D :D :D

They will come round to your way of thinking but nerves give of energy turn it from nerves to positive strength.

Enjoy your chucks.

Bill

The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

dollybird

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 22:44 »
we got our 8 batty girls in sept last year and won them over with grapes. they are now like 8 toddlers following me around the garden in a line we spend more time watching them than the t.v. now the nice weather is here. they have all dug little craters down the side of the garden where they lay and sun bathe ha bliss x

Kaye

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 22:18 »
Thank you all for your replies and support. The girls have come to love me and I love them too! The most hen pecked one who I thought would not survive now has feathers growing and her comb is red and is almost standing up now!
Happy days! I wish spring could last forever, so that I wont lose and time with the girls!

xx
Why are my hens too scared to roost?

Started by tatiana916 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 11:36
by ANHBUC
xx
Scared new girl

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 18:53
by Mrs Bee
xx
No longer scared of my girls!

Started by Kaye on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 06:55
by sneezer
xx
scared hen lays soft egg????

Started by kellym on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 19:06
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 28 queries.