Why are my hens too scared to roost?

• 1 Replies

tatiana916

Why are my hens too scared to roost?
« on: April 23, 2013, 23:52 »
Over the last few weeks my hens haven't been in the hen house when I've come to lock them up. They are always perched somewhere else in their run. Whenever I try and shoo them in they'll run back out immediately. Their hen house is actually an outhouse with concrete floor and a secure door and their coop is on paving slabs so nothing is coming in at night, not even mice or rats. Could it be that my hens are scared of my Cockerel?  It seems silly because he's a polish bantam and they're hybrids and practically dwarf him but I have noticed one of my hens trying her best to keep her distance from him during the day sometimes to get away from his teenage boy advances. Is it normal for hens and cockerels to roost together?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 00:06 by tatiana916 »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Why are my hens too scared to roost?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:36 »
It is more likely to be redmite in the coop.  You need to check any cracks in the wood and the end of the perches.  Use a piece of white paper to run in the cracks.  You will get the blood of the redmite on the paper if you have them.

Make sure any treatment of the coop is well away from where you normally keep it as they will just drop to the floor and reinfest the coop again.

If not redmite it could be vermin, they can get through the tiniest space.  Make sure you don't have any food in the coop which would attract them. 

Lack of ventilation may also be a cause, now the warmer weather is here they might be overheating in the coop.   :) 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
I'm a bit scared of my hens!

Started by Kaye on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 22:18
by Kaye
xx
Scared new girl

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 18:53
by Mrs Bee
xx
No longer scared of my girls!

Started by Kaye on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 06:55
by sneezer
xx
scared hen lays soft egg????

Started by kellym on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 19:06
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 36 queries.