learning from experience

• 8 Replies

SMS6

learning from experience
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:33 »
About this time last year, keeping chickens was just a dream but I casually pointed out what I thought looked a lovely chicken house to my partner.

Low and behold - he went and bought it for my Birthday last May and we started keeping chickens from early June.   

BUT in all honesty now we know a lot more we realise the house that looked very nice  on the internet has a lot of 'faults'   - the run was too small for a start but we put an extra run on to solve that.  the roof is made of felt which we now know is not a good thing, water gets in where the nest box lid meets the house  and in truth it has already started to come apart in places.

Trouble is I cannot find a decent supplier locally , all the hen houses I see are in basic pet shops and are of similar design.  so I can't try before I buy so to speak.

How do you judge from a picture whether it's good or not?  I'm taken with this one http://www.waltons.co.uk/chicken-ark

But will I be dissappointed again?  It seems quite cheap for what it is - does anyone have one?

If I had realised he was going to take the plunge I'd have done a lot more research first.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: learning from experience
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:43 »
first of all look at the measurements - the run is really only just big enough for one hen (and even too small for that) as it measures just 112cms long by 117cms wide at the base. Then you need to know what thickness the wood is and has it been pressure treated. If I was you I would ring and ask them these details as I can't see where it tells you these if indeed it does.
Will your chickens just use this for sleeping in and have a run where they can go out all day?
If you look at the photo with 2 hens in it where would you put their feeder and drinker?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:52 »
I spent 6 mths researching coops  It really depends on your budget and the space you have.  I am lucky in that I own a small field across the lane from my cottage so my hens free range. The area is fenced  but I also have a smaller area which is enclosed with electric fencing.  I wanted a traditional looking coop but wanted to reduce the risk of red mite. I looked at all plastice ones  but a)  they were either too small or too expensive and b) asthetically not the design I wanted.  Eventually I bought one of Ebay (user name wenvoelandscaping)  This guy hand makes them in Cardiff.  They are made of pressure treated t&G, with a plastice floor and opaline roof and raised of the ground. I think he does 2 sizes. The one I bough was for 6 to 8 hens & came delivered assembled and with a Chuxaway auto timed door.  I think I paid around £250  but it is extremely well made, all solid wood with bolts and screws.  I live up in the Brecon Hills and we really get the weather especially on the field where it is more exposed and it has never let a drop of water in.  Hope that helps :wub:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:11 »
he/she has several on at the moment ranging from £195 to £695 for one with a walk in run.

Blobbs

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 15:23 »
Hi. I'm  a newbie and looking at houses. Found the 707L at super pet shack. Can you see any shortcomings on this one? I can't find the wenvoelandscaping one on e.bay. I'm really interested as you said it had an automatic door which is what I would like. They don't seem to have a web page.

SMS6

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 15:54 »
Thanks for the feedback - I'm certainly not going to impulse buy this time

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 16:14 »
Hi. I'm  a newbie and looking at houses. Found the 707L at super pet shack. Can you see any shortcomings on this one? I can't find the wenvoelandscaping one on e.bay. I'm really interested as you said it had an automatic door which is what I would like. They don't seem to have a web page.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Wenvoe-Landscaping-and-Fencing?_trksid=p4340.l2563

:D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

j00les

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 18:33 »
oh thats my coop and girls love it :lol: i added on a 18ft run  :D chook heaven will try to post picture

Willow_Warren

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:32 »
Thanks for the link, the coops look really good and reasonably priced.

Hannah

xx
Another Daft Q or 2...Learning More Every Day!!

Started by ShoeGirl on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 02:38
by ShoeGirl
xx
Anyone had any experience of this?

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 22:40
by woodburner
xx
First broody hen experience...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 11:17
by Hen 1-0 Fox
xx
My experience of culling.

Started by kimT on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 22:51
by kimT

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 32 queries.