My experience of culling.

• 14 Replies

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:23 »
At the weekend we culled 14 of our meat birds mainly cockerels. (Hubbards)

Three out of the four of the group have never ever culled plucked or gutted a chicken in our lives so for me personally it was a sleepless night and the next morning I was full of dread.

I will tell you that we didn't kill the birds we got someone experienced to do that bit but we had to pluck and gut..................gulp! :shock:

We set up in a shed but it wasn’t long before I was gipping and needed to get outside in the fresh air.

We then set up outside which was much better and we started plucking which I found ok but those wing and tail feathers are a pig to get out it’s defiantly a one by one job!

We were shown how to remove the feet/legs and the wing bits which I coped with ok and so did the others but when it came to the gutting bit………………well I was trying to be brave but alas ……………….was gipping again!

I did compose myself and gave myself a slap round the chops & told myself to get a grip which I did and after this I plucked and gutted three more chickens all on my little own sum…………………How brave was that?

Now I know you may think I’m being a bit gruesome here but I did take my camera with me and I have posted pic’s on another forum of the cull. Members who have never done this like myself and are thinking of growing their own meat birds wanted to see what they might expect and they appreciated me doing this.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:33 »
Well done you. I think it would be hard for me as well but once you have meat birds you have to keep that in mind, that they are meat birds.  I am attached to my egg birds.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:37 »
Well Done Kim

The first time isn't very nice :(

Quite lucky here, I just have to do the killing - hubby used to be a butcher so I leave the gutting part to him  :lol:

Sarah :)

Bodger

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:35 »
I don't know what all the fuss is about. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Stick at it, good for you, its well worth doing. :D

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 13:59 »
Well done Kim.

As it is something we would like to bear in mind if we ever have chicks can I ask which forum the photos are on?

Thank you
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Hawkins

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 15:42 »
Well done KIn. Dont think i could have done it but we just have egg layers, For that reason. I could not kill.
 :)
Em
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

kimT

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 15:47 »
I also have my girls in my garden that are my pets and egg layers and I love them to bits.
You really have to be able to see both as separate entities and it easier with the meat birds because they are all white in colour the only thing that is different is that you have cocks and hens. If you can get over that bit then you can do it too.

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 16:31 »
If you have meat and egg birds do you keep them apart?  I am seriously thinking of getting meat hens come Feb time.  My neighbour has said she will cull them, I´ve seen a hen gutted, it wasn´t as bad as I thought it would be.
We bought a hen from the supermarket last weekend, you would not have known it was chicken if you had eaten it with your eyes shut!
Pamela

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 16:39 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
If you have meat and egg birds do you keep them apart?  

Oliveview meat birds are have feed for making meat and egg birds feed for eggs. The feed are different.   That is all I know.  But some one will be along shortly.

chucky

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 17:50 »
i skinned and gutted a rabbit for the first time a few weeks ago and wondered if the stench from doing a chicken is as rank as a rabbit ??

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 18:26 »
If i had to do it because the bird was suffering i would, but would  be worried as i know if i didnt do it right i would cause it more suffering :shock: not so sure about the gutting bit though! i retch just pulling the giblets out of the turkey  :lol:  Well done you!
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too many girls

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 18:53 »
we kept the meat birds seperate from the laying hens, untill..........................they found the hen house had food in it, then the hens found out the meat birds had food in theirs, then the ducks found out they both had food in and now the table birds eat layers, the layers eat growers, and the ducks help themselves to all of it, it's like musical hen houses here.

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 19:04 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
we kept the meat birds seperate from the laying hens, untill..........................they found the hen house had food in it, then the hens found out the meat birds had food in theirs, then the ducks found out they both had food in and now the table birds eat layers, the layers eat growers, and the ducks help themselves to all of it, it's like musical hen houses here.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 19:34 »
TMG very funny.

kimT

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 22:51 »
We have another 11 birds to cull in a couple of weeks or so and then...................it's the turkey's :shock:

xx
culling

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 00:54
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Culling - Which way?

Started by kimT on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 14:17
by kimT
xx
culling

Started by hermon on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 17, 2007, 14:09
by Aunt Sally
sad
culling

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 15:44
by drumcrow

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 30 queries.