bloodied chicken

• 2 Replies

angieplummer

bloodied chicken
« on: April 28, 2012, 00:35 »
Can anyone help me please I'm at the end of my tether.My normally lovely gentle Tilly hen has turned on the smallest one of the three who has ALWAYS been in charge & top of the pecking order where poor Tilly is concerned.....From nowhere Tilly has turned (like a worm!) she has pecked the head of the small one till blood has been drawn andgone really ferocious!We separated the little one  then put her in with the third one who has also decided to have a little 'go'!......Can anyone help please as Tilly set on her again earlier drawing quite a nasty gash in her neck & more blood.I hate the thought she is locked up with them in the night.Why would she SUDDENLY turn like this?What can we do?It doesn't help that the weather is just raining EVERYDAY....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: bloodied chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:16 »
All sorts of things can affect the hiarchy in a chicken flock and if a low ranking member sees the chance to improve her standing, it can get nasty.

Check all your girls for general health and parasites, as being unwell can make a bird a target.  Spray any wounds with purple spray - keeps them clean and covers the red that generates more pecking.  If Tilly is being a bully, you may need to buy an anti-pecking ring to fit on her.  These are harmless but hamper the pecking behaviour you are seeing.

Some extra info on which breeds you have, how old they are and their coop and run set-up may help other forum members advise you  :)

angieplummer

Re: bloodied chicken
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:30 »
 very many thanks for your prompt reply in helping us to try and solve this upset with our hens.....I will be off to buy some purple spray from hopefully Pets at Home chain.This morning we managed to separate the pecked bird and leave her in the coop area whilst the other two have the rest of the run but obviously can't get into the coop to lay meaning they have to lay outside...and the weather is SO awful!Why doesn't stop raining??!!! :(

xx
Very bloodied rear.

Started by Walfre on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 11:51
by kegs
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Sad chicken - help please!

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2010, 09:51
by Bonniebean
xx
chicken run

Started by JMF on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 21:10
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 38 queries.