What's your preferred method of dealing with slugs?

• 43 Replies

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
Re: What's your preferred method of dealing with slugs?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 22:32 »
All slugs and snails are treated the same way a decent backhander with a tennis racket, I've got quite good I can get nearly 35 yards now  :D
Yer Tiz!!

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 22:34 »
I used to go out into the garden at night with a head torch on, a flower pot in one hand and a kebab skewer in the other.  I would skewer the slugs, and then run them off into the plant pot.  I was getting about 30 a night to begin with, and over about 10 days this number started to drop and drop, and the smell from my big got worse and worse.  Oh it was awful  :wacko:

30? Minor infestation - my Mother at home in South Wales (tis a river valley) can arm herself with her trusty darning needle/bamboo stick combo and pick off 800 in a couple of hours!   :ohmy:

heloise

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 22:38 »
A pair of scissors works well - cutting them in half looks yukky but is instant so I don't feel too guilty about killing things.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 22:49 »
I thought about this thread on the plot today.  I spend my entire life trying to educate my children why we don't use fly sprays and why we need to protect our environment, whilst squishing slugs and snails behind their backs because I have complete zero tolerance of the ruddy things that eat all my crops! :mad:
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

allot2learn

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 00:40 »
Any that I come across get an instant headache from whatever gardening tool is handy. I just leave them for the birds and toads to dispose. I have a lot of toads in my pond. There is rarely any evidence the next morning.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 10:04 »
my dad swears when he see's one, digs a hole, throw it in,cover with soil and give it a good hit with the foot...oh yes then another big swear. we grow in our garden so no kids about.

jmc1949

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 10:45 »
Any that I come across get an instant headache from whatever gardening tool is handy. I just leave them for the birds and toads to dispose. I have a lot of toads in my pond. There is rarely any evidence the next morning.

Same here, they get a headache too, or I cut them in half with the secuteurs.

Mafro

• The Bushcraft Magazine
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 11:46 »
A pair of scissors works well - cutting them in half looks yukky but is instant so I don't feel too guilty about killing things.

The growing area in my garden was 1m x 2.5m so not large at all.  hence why I am so happy with getting an allotment at long last :D
Bushcraft & Mushroom Mad

Robster

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 12:01 »
This will really nark some people I guess, but like Rampant Weasel I have a frog army that help out.  I constructed a pond close to my raised beds and that seems to do it.  There are plenty of places for the frogs to hide and I don't get too much of a problem.  I still find slugs but my problems seem to be at an acceptable level.

I did let my chickens out to have a quick go over a while back before things really started growing.  The only thing I saw them eat was a big mature frog.  Poor Froggy. :lol:

bertiewhite

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 13:27 »
Ducks for me as well. I regularly let mine out into the veg patch for a quick outing. Unlike the chickens, they seem more respectful of the plants and unlike some, I don't feel at all sorry for murdering slugs as it's the ducks that are rooting them out which is a natural thing.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 14:34 »

The growing area in my garden was 1m x 2.5m so not large at all.  hence why I am so happy with getting an allotment at long last :D

You'll love it - but you'll still find you could do with more space! :D

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 17:16 »
So far I've tried collecting the slugs and feeding them to the chickens or placing them on the bird table.  Getting ducks or frogs to the work for you seem like far better ideas so I'll work on getting some of them.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 18:10 »
I fed a few small slugs to my chooks today - they really like them!

I think they'd choke to death on some of the big monster alien slugs I  tend to get later in the year though! :D

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 23:17 »
I fed a few small slugs to my chooks today - they really like them!

I think they'd choke to death on some of the big monster alien slugs I  tend to get later in the year though! :D

My chooks will eat most snails and slugs but won't touch the big fat ones with the orange "go faster" stripes down the sides - they must taste yucky!  I am afraid they get the salt treatment  :(

xx
Preferred onion sets

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 14:29
by ryetek
xx
Dealing with ants

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 12:48
by Dr_Pepper
xx
How are you dealing with Greenfly?

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 17:16
by strangerachael
xx
dealing with potato scab

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 09, 2012, 23:14
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 37 queries.